Skip to main content

Brent Averill 1272 Class A Mic Pre VS BAE 312A Mic Preamps

I need Single channel mic preamp. only for vocal.
who use it? good or bad?

Brent Averill 1272 Class A Mic Pre
---
BAE 312A Mic Preamps

which better for vocal?

Comments

KurtFoster Thu, 06/16/2005 - 10:22

That's really like comparing apples to pork chops. Both are good but they really have nothing to do with each other, although I do like apple sauce with my pork chop.

The 312 is a API type discreet (I believe) op amp pre while the 1272 is a fully discreet Neve type that does not employ opamps.

The 1272 is 3/4ths of a real Neve pre .. short one stage of gain. Some think that doesn't matter and others like Dan Kennedy of Great River think the 3rd stage is an essential part of the "Neve sound" ... I have used the 1272 and while it is certainly a worthy pre in its own right, it does seem to lack the character of a real Neve. I was relatively unimpressed with it. Build quality of the units I have seen and touched seems a bit shoddy. They seemed a bit jury-rigged, IMO. I don't care at all for the pigtails used on the inzanoutz. At one studio, on one of the units I used, the lamp bezels and phantom power switches fell apart. It may have been abused however. At least BAE uses a real power supply to drive their 1272's unlike some manufacturers who are using wall warts.

I have not used the BAE 312 .. or any pre that is using the Avedis™ 1122 opamps employed.

There are a lot of inquiries on various BBs about this opamp but no answers yet? BAE should weigh in on it and explain any differences or similarities. I did some searching but I couldn't find any info on that opamp. Is it discreet opamp like the 2520 or more like the non discreet opamp used in the Focusrite Red? I don't know ... but considering BAE is marketing it as an option for API boards and racks, I would expect it to sound pretty much like an API ... harder in the mids than a Neve and therefore, more aggressive sounding.

AudioGaff Thu, 06/16/2005 - 10:36

I have the original Brent Averill 1272 made from a real 1272 module for about 10-years now and still find it a very usefull audio tool. Not sure about the new ones he is making now, though I have heard that it is about the same and those that own them are happy with them.

The 312, which if made from an original API 312 card with API opamp and transfomers, is another great sounding preamp, but much different sounding than the 1272. I don't the BA 312, but do own a few of the real API 512's, which is the same basic thing as far as sound/tone that get used very often.

Which is better for vocal depends on many variables such as the vocalist, the room, which mic is interfaced to it, ect...

In most cases, I find that my API 512's get used more than the 1272 for vocals in general.

anonymous Thu, 06/16/2005 - 11:08

A friend of mine has the BAE 312A, and I've had the chance to hear it used on several recordings, and use it to track vocals myself. We also compared it to my ISA 428 on drums.

For vocals, the Brent Averill does the job better than any pre I've heard to date. I haven't heard tons of pre's or anything, but I do think that experience has spoiled me. :)

You'll definitely be happy with the BAE 312A on vocals. I also thought it did a great job on the DI with acoustic guitar. I've also heard tracks with an sm57 on a fender cab into the BAE and thought it to sound pretty good as well.

For drums, I was not so much into the BAE 312A. I preferred my ISA 428, which had more clarity in the high and low frequencies.

Hope this helps some,

-eric.