Skip to main content

Looking to see if anyone has any comparison between these two mics. I'd be using them for pretty mcuh all instruments but my main purpose is to have a high quality stereo pair for drums and such. I'm familiar with the 414 but I've been reading a lot of good things about the k2. Unfortunately the k2 isn't something I have available to listen to. Features wise eveything is very similar. Obviously the designs are very different. I'd be completely happy with a pair of 414's as they sound great. I just wonder if I'd be happier with a pair of k2's and an extra 600 bucks in my pocket. If anyone ahs any insight that would be great. Thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

pmolsonmus Mon, 09/25/2006 - 06:49

Hi,

I use both regularly and believe you would be happy with either of the mics. The AKGs are a little more neutral and sound fine on everything, the K2 ,(because of the tube) adds a nice warmth to vocals and acoustic instruments and I absolutely love what it does for my own voice, but I haven't used it as an OH (I only have one). The AKGs are standards as OH, pianos, vocals, etc... They will not sound bad on ANYTHING, but they may not be the best for some things. The K2 may offer that option but perhaps without the universality.

Tough call on this one. I know maintiger has used his K2 on percussion, not sure on drum set.
Good Luck