Skip to main content

Anyone tried the new AKG C 214 ?

Half price of the C414 .

Topic Tags

Comments

soapfloats Fri, 01/30/2009 - 22:13

Remy - I'd love to hear your thoughts on each of the 414 models.
Short as you like - I'm just looking for your uncolored take.

Reason being, I did some research on my own once I discovered the whole twisted family tree - everyone has their favs for their own reasons, so it was tricky getting any worthwhile comparisons.

Ultimately I settled for the B-XLS, as I got two for around $1200, and figured they'd be more multi-purpose than some of the other models to be gotten at a similar cost.

jammster Sat, 01/31/2009 - 08:40

I have an AKG C4000B that people were recommending as a great recording mic for the money. Truth is the C4000B is the same mic as the AKG tube without the tube. It sounds good for the $350 I paid for it ($500 retail). Remember a 414 has multiple patterns, omni, cardioid, hypercardioid, figure 8. This makes it a very versatile workhorse. The 214 only has the cardioid pattern, is that what you are looking for?

I really like the extra patterns, even the C4000B, which is about the same price has three patterns, omni, cardioid and hypercardioid.

You should could go and try it up against a 414 and others in the same price range at the store, I am sure if you ask politely they will allow you to do it. Tell them you are serious about knowing the differences.

I have used the 414 in the studio before around 1990. I was very impressed with it and wanted to get my own someday, just never could truly afford it when I wanted it. In august of last year I did an a/b comparison between the AKG 414 XLII and the TLM 103. I had already heard such good things about the 103 that I just wanted to make sure that it compared well. I opted for the Neumann TLM-103, sounded smoother to my ears, but it also is a fixed cardioid unlike the 414.

If you end up getting a condenser mic just make sure you use a pop filter to keep artifacts from singing on the diaphragm, also keep it in the box and away from dust.

Happy recordings,
Bret

anonymous Sat, 01/31/2009 - 10:04

Obviously, nodoby here bought one yet...

I was trying to find if someone tried it on strings, vocals and / or overheads ?!

I am looking for a good stereo pair of large diaphragm condenser mics. I've heard that the Rode NTK does a great job there too.

Anyone tried the NTK or the C 214 for strings, vocals, overheads ?

I'm looking for a clear, warm, high spl and relatively versatile mic.

Maybe the C400B would do a great job too... ?

anonymous Fri, 02/13/2009 - 11:56

I have never experienced or heard of the M179. Do you consider it a good option for strings (cello especially) and vocals ?

I'm changing my mind to go with the NT1000 for the price and quality. I read they're almost the same as the NTK, minus the typical warm sound of the NTK, with the same clean and neutral sound.

Right now, I don't see the utility of a multi-patern mic... Anyone here to change my mind ? Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that without a great room, there's no utility of a multi-patern mic.

I have a question regarding stereo micing and/or overhead micing... I know there's a matched pair of NT1a available, but what are the disadvantages of using a non-matched pair of NT1000 ?

Link555 Fri, 02/13/2009 - 12:54

Right now, I don't see the utility of a multi-patern mic... Anyone here to change my mind ?

Well different mic techniques for one.

For M/S you need a cardioid and figure eight.

You can use figure 8’s to help with isolation with a singer who has to play their guitar at the same time.

I use Omni for overheads often and times I want to avoid the proximity effect.

For example close mic’ing an acoustic guitar

Hyper cardioids are useful on close mic’ed toms for rear rejection.

Mic patterns are in my opinion and essential tool.