Skip to main content

I want to double check something with the experts. I'm looking at the 1NV and the 500NV units. The GR sites says about the 500NV: "All specifications and performance details are identical to the NV series preamplifiers with the exception of size, weight, patch jack, -10dBv Out." Size, weight and patch jack aren't a big deal to me. But the 500NV doesn't have the -10dBv out if I'm reading correctly, and that feature enables "no latency DAW monitoring", so that's what's missing from the 500NV. And that makes the 500NV 500$ cheaper than the 1NV apparently. Is that the only significant difference? Before I take the plunge, I'd like to better understand what I am sacrificing by going with the 500NV - my interface is a Mackie Onyx, so zero-latency monitoring isn't a problem for me in the first place. Plus I need an excuse to start a lunchbox.

Thanks!

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Tue, 02/23/2010 - 08:35

If you want to get a lunchbox, go for that and put the 500NV in it. You should still (just about) be in pocket compared with buying the 1NV, and you can now add other flavours of pre-amps.

However, the Mackie Onyx is not the ideal thing for feeding with the output from any boutique pre-amp. How have you got it interfaced to the computer? Is it via the FireWire ADC option on the standard Onyx, or have you got one of the new i-series?

TheJackAttack Tue, 02/23/2010 - 11:08

Boswell is definitely correct. To effectively use external preamps with a Mackie Onyx mixer you need to use the point with a custom cable or a TS cable inserted only to the first click. This is true whether it is the new i-Onyx mixer or the original Onyx w/firewire installed.

In order to then record an individual track via the firewire on the original Onyx series, you will have to have the Front End Audio mod in place. On the new i-Onyx series this is a standard feature provided the switches are thrown correctly.

apstrong Tue, 02/23/2010 - 11:56

Silly me, I didn't realize the lunchbox is more than just a differently shaped unit for holding components like this (i.e. it's not just a metal shell that holds differently shaped units like the 500NV). Well that accounts for the price difference, and now I understand.

First generation Onyx 1640, not the i-series. I am unfortunately just running my 2 current external preamps into the normal Onyx channel inputs, with the onyx gain turned as low as possible. I understand that stacking preamps like this is not the best way to go, and I take it that the half-inserted TS cable will bypass the onyx pre completely. But if that's the case, why the need for the Front End Audio mod? Thought that was just so you could get the Onyx EQ strips into the recording chain?

Ah, wait, the Onyx firewire out is post-gain, pre-everything else, so that would include the inserts? And if that's correct, is there no other way to bypass the Onyx pres without doing the mod? The mod makes me nervous :)

TheJackAttack Tue, 02/23/2010 - 12:12

Actually the mod by Front End Audio specifically does not even void the Mackie warranty. It was no doubt due to the success of FEA plus all of us Onyx users bitching about the lack of flexibility that spurred the iOnyx in the first place. That and Allen and Heath making the ZED R16.

If I weren't classical chamber based and used my Onyx 1640 more I'd have the mod done in two shakes. Or sell it to so bar band and buy the new iOnyx 1640. I'm still a big fan of the Onyx series, even more so now that the iOnyx is out. It's just too big for my one man circus unless I'm also running PA.

apstrong Tue, 02/23/2010 - 16:35

Alright, you've convinced me, I'll look into the mod and if I can't find a local willing to do it (Canada), I'll consider the upgrade instead. I love the 1640, used it live a couple of times, but mostly for recording in a project studio, and it does everything I need and want. If I could change the firewire output point in the chain I'd be very happy.

Thanks for the info!

TheJackAttack Tue, 02/23/2010 - 19:05

The iOnyx has some other even better features. Basically there is the audio input path mod which there are two versions-post eq and post fader. Then the really cool kicker is the new iOnyx can return through the firewire to each individual stick or to the subgroups. Check out the manual. These features to be fair were available with the ZED R16 first. Still it's way cool. Manual https://mackie.com/…

Really, now that I'm thinking about it I might have to sell the 1640 and buy the i1640. Damn G.A.S. Anybody have any beano?

x

User login