Skip to main content

Hey guys,
I'm looking for a pre-amp as the front end to my projectmix I/O which I run with Pro Tools M-Powered. I want to record vocals, guitar and bass for metal and pop-rock. Right now I'm looking into the Focusrite ISA 220 w/ digital card and the SSL XLogic Alpha Channel. Can you tell suggest one of these or another one I haven't thought of? One of the big sellers with these is I feel I will get higher quality A/D with these when I use the digital outs. So keep that in mind. Thanks for the help.

Topic Tags

Comments

tifftunes Thu, 11/08/2007 - 04:14

I record rock, pop, 'n' blues. So far I like the 428 for everything (it "stacks" well) from drums, guitars and bass, to vocals, and whatever. I like the subtle "iron" or transformer added to the sound, like vintage Neve consoles, but not too much. I haven't tried it on solo acoustic piano or a classical setting yet. Though I believe it'd be fine there too. I really appreciate the digital "soft-limit" feature, and A/D converters. I also like that I can run my vintage Ampex 354 pre (or any other 4 inputs of choice) through the 428 to use the 428's limiter and converters. While it may not be a "premium" mic pre (and in fact is a bargain at $400 per channel), I am not a gear snob, and it is good enough for my purposes. I do admit to being a gear slut however! 8-) :D

AudioGaff Thu, 11/08/2007 - 21:11

Got any recommendations AudioGaff??

Ya. But to give any worthwhile or specific advice I would need to more about you, your working style and what you are trying to achieve in sonics, and several other things.

I'm also a big fan and user of API. It is just delivers one of those jaw dropping moments almost everytime you use it. The Vintech X81 complments the API well as does the Great River NV. If you want real tone that pretty much always works, then the ViPre or Fearn are great and hard to beat. I could on and on. There is a lot of great stuff to choose from these days. I just don't think the ISA stuff is among it.

J-MADD Mon, 03/31/2008 - 13:08

All my stuff is currently tracked with an ISA 428 and you can hear it on my link below. I do want to get either an api or Neve style preamp next time, but the ISA stuff isn't bad especially for the price. I don't care for it as much on high gain electric guitars, but it excels on drums.

Justin

x

User login