Skip to main content

Hi Everyone!

I saw a strange thing in someone's studio and since i bought similar gear i would appreciate your help.
Does it make sense to connect the subgroup outs of the toft console to the compressor(DARKING FET),the compressor's outs to a digital interface(DIGI 003 controller) inputs and then its outs to the speakers?
I have also a Lexicon reverb. I guess it should be connected to aux sends of the toft and not to the DIGI 003, right?
In addition i have a preamp,and a RME fireface 800.
I would prefer to use the pre-amp for recording and toft for mixing OTB.

Thank you :)

Comments

audiokid Sat, 03/15/2014 - 21:53

MachinerySound, post: 411026, member: 47910 wrote: Hi Everyone!

I saw a strange thing in someone's studio and since i bought similar gear i would appreciate your help.
Does it make sense to connect the subgroup outs of the toft console to the compressor(DARKING FET),the compressor's outs to a digital interface(DIGI 003 controller) inputs and then its outs to the speakers?
I have also a lexicon reverb. I guess it should be connected to aux sends of the toft and not to the DIGI 003, right?
In addition i have a pre amp,and a RME fireface 800.
I would prefer to use the pre-amp for recording and toft for mixing OTB.

Thank you :)

You mean a Daking Fet.

Sure, sounds like the Daking is being used as a mixdown 2-bus compressor and tracked back to the DAW. The monitor out of the DAW (003) is the final mix from your console, the mixdown.

That's how I'm reading your question. Sounds like a nice set-up.

Ya, I would strap the reverb on an aux of the console.

MachinerySound Sat, 03/15/2014 - 23:39

Thanks a lot for your reply!
Yes daking,sorry.
Doing so,whenever i insert the bus compressor to a master track in pro tools,the delay is huge(with the highest delay compensation on).Or i am doing something wrong?

I am wondering whether it would be better to use the compressor->inserts of the console,then a patch bay would be necessary,right?

Another problem is that 4 channels from the console are wasted.All the outputs(Analog-ADAT)from Digidesign have been used.

i really appreciate your help

audiokid Sun, 03/16/2014 - 00:30

You are on the right track in regards to a better sound. I use a Dangerous Monitor ST for a similar system . The idea is to monitor your tracking and mixing in different ways. You may want to monitor pre or post console or 003. When mixing, I am monitoring at the very last stage before the master files is save. Right before the internet or CD is burnt. Track, I monitor going in on the DAW side. The Dangerous Monitor ST lets you do this exceptionally well.

Now that being said, your converters, interface and computer has a big part in this as well. If you have a good system, the latency is lower. Thats that part that started to get expensive.

MachinerySound Sun, 03/16/2014 - 01:17

Yes definitely the Dangerous Monitor ST will be much better than the Mackie big knob i have..

Also do you suggest to use an AD/DA converter like the antelope you just posted?or another interface?
Currently the system consists of Millennia hv-3d-8,RME fireface 800,Digidesign factory 003, daking FETIII,lexicon pcm96s and toft 16

How about pci cards?

thanks again

audiokid Sun, 03/16/2014 - 01:24

MachinerySound, post: 411039, member: 47910 wrote: Yes definitely the Dangerous Monitor ST will be much better than the Mackie big knob i have..

Also do you suggest to use an AD/DA converter like the antelope you just posted?or another interface?
Currently the system consists of Millennia hv-3d-8,RME fireface 800,Digidesign factory 003, daking FETIII,lexicon pcm96s and toft 16

How about pci cards?

thanks again

Nice. I love Millennia. I want 4 channels of those. What you have is good but if you want to step up your game, check out these two posts and pay extra attention on the two DAW system, Bos and I prefer.
http://recording.org/index.php?threads/tim-dobear-96k-vs-44-1k-sample-rates-my-real-life-test.55367/#post-410484

You can produce better results and get by on a lot less with the system you are building.

audiokid Sun, 03/16/2014 - 01:55

I use a few SSL X-Patch's, I can control them via midi or mouse. Seamless switching on the fly. The Dangerous Liaison is also something that is intersting. I like knowing about things that I may want later, helps me understand where this who hybrid technology is headed.

Two DAW's, uncoupled between a console is awesome.

audiokid Sun, 03/16/2014 - 02:19

The Orion32 is a great choice for hybrid multichannel ADDA. Then, when you can, get yourself a very sweet 2 channel ADDA for mixdown to a capture system. Your FF800 would be pretty darn good too (good enough). You don't need to worry about latency on that second DAW as its basically there to capture the mix coming off your console at 44.1 24/ .

anonymous Tue, 03/18/2014 - 06:35

Hybrid is definitely the way to go. Chris (audiokid) showed me that through some work he did on a few of my tracks last year. Up to that point, I hadn't considered it and didn't really know all that much about it.
Since then, through research and experience, I've come to the conclusion that it's really the only way to go to truly get that warm "smeary"/silky and punchy analog sound... short of getting back into a full analog rig with a dedicated console, tape machines and OB gear.

Digitally based analog emulations will only get you so far.

If I had the money, I'd be in hybrid land in a nano-second.

MachinerySound Wed, 03/19/2014 - 18:08

Hi Donny,yes i believe that too. When i used yamaha for first time in someone's studio,i realized that..they don't have personality.Ι have felt pretty much the same with yamaha guitars...Besides i hate plugins.There are people who use one ton plugins...for a fake sound.
So hybrid land is a very good choice.Of course the money is always a problem.Also investing in all these things,it doesn't mean that you will earn your money back one day:(.