Skip to main content

Help,
I'm looking to become portable so I can run PT LE in several areas and record location rehearsals at the high school I teach in as well as concerts and recordings we legally burn as fundraising CDs. (Hal Leonard is right down the block, I BELIEVE in copyright) Right now I'm running a single processor 733 G4 w/ an 001 PT Le 5.1 but made the leap to an 002r that's still sitting in the box. I thought I would be able to run the 001 through the PCI slot and then run the 002r through the firewire port. From the look of the Digi website and the DUC as I understand it, no other Digi products can be on the same machine. Is that correct?
I thought I could run the 001 in OS9 and run the 002r in the required OSX 10.2.6 Help :( My Choices as I see them.
1. Should I use either just the 001 or 002r as portable with a rackmount and my current G4? Cost about $600 for rack ears and a new monitor- unsure of performance with 002r and 733 single running 10.2.6.
2. Should I bite the bullet NOW and buy a powerbook G4,w/ external firewire drive with my 002r? Cost about $3500 -I believe you need 2 firewire ports. Both 17" and 15" come w/ 1 400 and 1 800 - is that ok? Aren't the 400s a dying breed?
Should I wait a couple months and buy a G5 (or G5 laptop? w/ firewire drive) for the 002r and make my portable rig THE rig? and leave the G4 alone w/ 001?
Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil

Comments

gdoubleyou Wed, 10/08/2003 - 06:11

PTLE will not work in classic mode. And if you could Sound Manager and Core Audio are exclusive one or the other can control hardware.

PTLE detects hardware on bootup, not sure what would happen with multiple Digi hardware.

Digidesign is offering a hardware tradeup for the 001 to 002.

Firewire 400 isn't going anywhere soon. Yet to see a Firewire800 audio devices.

Unless you want to use another DAW with the Digi hardware the 733 will give you max track count.

Computer purchase depends on how badly you need portability.

:cool:

pmolsonmus Wed, 10/08/2003 - 06:33

Thanks G-dub,

My thoughts are to have one permanent set up and one I could be portable with. That's why I didn't bother with the trade up.
With portability as the goal (and it is) I was assuming the 001 with its A/D would be the logical portable rig. Fidelity would suffer a bit but within liveable limits for most uses- rehearsals/live concerts(I could always take the entire rig for large projects where fidelity is more critical)
That said- what direction G4? G4laptop? G5? G5laptop?
Will I really get max track count running 10.2.6 with my single 733? From what I've been researching it sounds like people are maxing out their G4s( slow launch, .5 second delay in meters,etc...)
Phil

gdoubleyou Wed, 10/08/2003 - 19:15

Just found this info, the 002 WILL work in OS9.2 with PTLE5.3.2.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/os9/002/os.html

My experience with PTLE was in OS9 G4/450 for max tracks. You shouldn't have any problem recording tracks, with the proper hard drive.

With that G4/450 PTLE rig we were able to do 8-track ADAT transfers.

I would think that the 002 would sound better because the A/D is capable of higher resolution. I haven't checked out the specs in detail.

I'm not sure about Digidesign's OSX, and dual processor optimization.
I'm getting basically the same performance in OSX that I had in OS9 with DP4, and Logic Audio6.

On very modest CPUs, G4/400 and iBook/700 (soon to be Powerbook)

If there were G5 laptops I'd try to be first in line.

The Digi DUC is probably the best source for reports on the 002/Powerbook combination.

:cool: