Skip to main content

Hiya.
I was wondering if anyone ot there has had any success at recording 16 channels of 24/96 at once? if so what were you using?

i'm hoping that for this a minimum system would be a couple of ATA100 drives (7200), but can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Wed, 07/25/2001 - 15:09

I highly doubt ATA100 drives are going to cut it...SCSI would be the way to go for serious data like that. Remember that 24/96 is double the amount of space needed for hard drive useage. heavy information. Plus I tend to stay with 48..maybe...I'm happy with 44.1..it has to be brought back down to 44.1 regardless if you plan to put it on a cd at some point..if it was going to DVD at 24/96 sure that would be ok..but remember this.a producer will still bring you a shitty 44.1/16 cd for referencing
Opus

nawaz Wed, 07/25/2001 - 20:30

opus...it's triple the 'normal' data actually...i was just wondering then if anyone IS achieving this, and what they're using....the AD converters on a soundcard work heaps better at this level...and i've got a sneaking suspiscion that software dithering is going to preserve more than recording without that headroom at 24/96.

Jon Best Thu, 07/26/2001 - 06:25

Well, judging that I can record 24 tracks of 24/44.1 pretty easily on one ATA66 drive, that's 12 tracks of 96K- almost there. I would say that a couple of ATA100 drives in a RAID 0 should be plenty.

Originally posted by Jay Nawaz:
opus...it's triple the 'normal' data actually...i was just wondering then if anyone IS achieving this, and what they're using....the AD converters on a soundcard work heaps better at this level...and i've got a sneaking suspiscion that software dithering is going to preserve more than recording without that headroom at 24/96.