Skip to main content

who has used it? how can you compare it to other pencil condensers? anything that you particularly like about it? anything you dislike about it?

i dont know much about them; a pair showed up on craigslist for $200/each.

Topic Tags

Comments

dvdhawk Wed, 10/14/2009 - 09:12

$400 is a really good price for two of them whether they're new or old (especially old-style).
The current version is C451B

As stated, very well suited for hi-hat and overhead, or anything else you'd do with an SDC. The built-in pad and low-cut is pretty useful.

They are comparable to Shure SM81s, and to my ears a noticeable upgrade from Rode NT5s - if that helps in the comparison department.

Davedog Wed, 10/14/2009 - 11:52

Link555 wrote: Really like the SM81's too, actually I prefer the 81's on most ACU GTRs even over my QTC50's. Sacrilege I know....

Some mics just do something to the sound that others do not, The 81's are forward and aggressive sounding on AG Guitar and this really helps in a dense mix. I've always liked them for this over AKG 451's, or even Neumann 184's. Nothing in a SDC pencil sounds as good as an older Neumann KM84.

As for 451's, they are very good mics but will take some getting used to. They are real bright, but still retain the body of the low-mids. Worth that price.

rockstardave Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:12

i sent an email to the seller, asking about condition, mic clips / shockmounts, etc. this was his response:

One is a C451-EB - which has a black finish, the other I believe is a C451-B.

Both mics were removed from service as broadcast mics at a talk radio station several years ago - and were given to me in trade for overtime work at the station. They both still work wonderfully - I still use the C451-EB as a microphone for my computer / gaming.

I have one shock mount for them, which is in use at the moment. But it is held together with a cable tie... I also have one or two wind screens for them. I do not have the cases, or other accessories, however i do have a spare capsule.

so they are not matched pairs, nor even the same series. still sound like a good deal?

rockstardave Wed, 10/14/2009 - 13:24

Davedog wrote:
Some mics just do something to the sound that others do not

amen, i've been using super cheapo Cascade M37 pencil condensers for a year or 2 now. got the pair, along with nice shockmounts, for $70. and they sound much better for OHs than my $200 akg c1000s.

i've always thought about upgrading them - but if they sound surprisingly nice, i should upgrade elsewhere first.

RemyRAD Wed, 10/14/2009 - 16:26

If you are a microphone whore, I mean collector, like the rest of us, go for it. The one thing to watch out for is on the older model with the screws on replaceable capsules, the threads can get easily screwed up. And since the oldest version (mine) did not have any built in switches, you needed to screw on the pad. And all that screwing, well, you can imagine.

Really Dave? You think the SM 81 sounds more aggressive? I always felt it was the other way around. I always felt the SM 81 was smoother compared to the more aggressive 451. It's amazing how different our perceptions of the same things can be. That's so cool. And that's what makes this so incredibly subjective. These are certainly great microphones that are not great on everything. And I don't find them as universally useful as my SM 81's. But still great & bright sounding. Certainly not a one-size-fits-all microphone.

I've gained weight and lost microphones
Mx. Remy Ann David

Davedog Thu, 10/15/2009 - 03:07

Yah I hear where you're coming from there Remy...I guess its the 'fuller' sound of the 81's as opposed to the brighter sound of the 451's that gives it something that sounds more 'in yer face' without a bunch of spittiness that I was referring to. I always thought my 81's sounded 'bigger'.....heck, you see em with the ball windscreen all over TV from lots of years ago as a vocal mic for performances. I used mine for vocals a lot. Worked great.

moonbaby Fri, 10/16/2009 - 08:08

ALSO...
Test them very carefully, let them run for a good 30 minutes or so. They are VERY sensitive to humidity conditions and wil "spit and crackle" if they are not well-kept. And, you might be able to pick up an SM81 or two at that same price point ($200/ea), that's what I've found in my neck of the woods. I agree with the Dog, the SM81 is a more versatile and smoother-sounding mic...my 0.02

x

User login