Skip to main content

Hi everyone!

Guided by your marvellous advice I've recently discovered a Bellari MP110 preamp. It's a tiny box, but against the Behringer's MIC2200 which is in the same price range. which should I buy?

I'm about to record vocal tracks for a rock band with a Shure KSM27(again, guided by all of you)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Salmacis.

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Mon, 05/10/2004 - 12:35

Salmacis,
You didn't mention if you already have any type of mic pres in a mixer .... if you do own a Mackie, Samson, or something remotely like that, I would say you don't need either the Bellari (made bt Rolls btw) or the Behringer ...

My gut reaction is that anything from Behringer is a "don't buy it!" type of thing but to be honest Bellari isn't much better... both semi-pro-sumer junk made for the segment of the market that is so ignorant they don't know / hear how bad it sounds ....

I bought a Bellari "tube compressor" once and I kept it for a couple weeks ... it was soooo horrible I sold it ...

Kurt Foster

sheet Wed, 05/12/2004 - 09:10

K is right.

You have to be careful with the Bellari stuff. Especially interfacing with real gear, where "0" is +4. In order for their stuff to have headroom, they make "0", "0".

If you want a truely professional, bigger sound, then you have to stop using the small sounding toys.

anonymous Wed, 05/12/2004 - 12:05

Thank you very much! I will not buy any of them.

My last question would be....what about the dbx mini-pre...would do any good?

my setup for voices is

CAD e200 -> PREAMP (?) -> Tascam US428 (@24 bits) -> Nuendo (@24 bits)

I want a cheap pre just to add a warm-tube-color to the signal..

Thank you very much

KurtFoster Wed, 05/12/2004 - 15:25

The pres in the Tascam are really not that bad .... you would need to spend well over $500 per channel to get into anything that is a true improvement.

My favorite thing for what you are wanting is a Sebatron vmp 2000e or vmp 4000e. These are great tube mic pres and line drivers that are transformer balanced. Many people make the mistake of attributing that warmth that is added to the tubes when it is often the combination of both tube and transformers interfacing.

With the Sebatron you can use it as a mic pre, a tube line driver, a tube direct box and you also have the ability to go out of one channel of the pre and back into a second channel to achieve more gain, crunch or to get a pre / master configuration ... it's a very versatile piece of gear, although it is a bit more expensive than what you mentioned you had to throw at it.. but it would be worth it as it will be a piece that you can keep indefinitely. It's something you won't outgrow ...

Kurt Foster