Skip to main content

Greetings to all on board.

Recently I aquired a beyer m160 microphone. I notice two red dots on the rI'm of the mike. May I know, what purpose does these red dots serve?
Thank you for your input/ contribution.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Sat, 06/09/2001 - 13:20

Originally posted by Rob O:
The two red dots on the mic head mark the longitudinal axis of the two ribbons.When setting up the mic make sure the two dots run vertically.

I've been cheated! My M160's only have one red dot - on the band that runs around the middle of the basket. There's a screw on the opposite side. I just figured the "red dot" was paint covering up the screw slot so you wouldn't be tempted to open it up.

Does it really make any difference how the ribbon is oriented? Suppose the mic is angled, not horizontal? Sheesh! Is this something I'm going to have to experiment with to see if I can hear any difference?

Jon Best Thu, 06/14/2001 - 19:15

Originally posted by Mike Rivers:

I've been cheated! My M160's only have one red dot - on the band that runs around the middle of the basket. There's a screw on the opposite side. I just figured the "red dot" was paint covering up the screw slot so you wouldn't be tempted to open it up.

Does it really make any difference how the ribbon is oriented? Suppose the mic is angled, not horizontal? Sheesh! Is this something I'm going to have to experiment with to see if I can hear any difference?

Yes, sorry! :) The cardioid pattern of the M160 is tighter on one axis than the other- Hank Alrich calls it a clamshell, which sums up the shape pretty well. The dots describe the wider axis.