Skip to main content

Hi All,

I'm looking for an alternative to the tried and tested sm57
Reading along I find many people very happy about the 421
They come up on ebay and such pretty often

My question:
there seem to be many different versions
does anyone know what the differences are (besides the colour and connector)

Thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

moonbaby Wed, 12/07/2005 - 07:21

The original MD421-UL was made from some sort of metal alloy (zinc, I think). This is what is shown in the website listed in the above post (features a 1985 photo), and the differences sited were electical connections. Later on, somewhere in the 90s, Sennheiser came up with a "new" version, the 421-II. It is constructed from some sort of high-impact plastic, and is a bit slimmer. These 2 traits make the 421 a bit easier to stick into a drumkit without being smacked, and if it is smacked, it tends to hold up better. The sound of the mic changed when they made this transition, possibly due to the transformer/cartridge upgrade that was made at the same time. These "II" mics tend to have a bit more snap in the top end. If you are looking at buying any used 421s, make sure that they sound "right". They are fairly tough mics (compared to other German dynamics), but they can get beaten up to the point that the cartridge is whacked out of place, and that gives them a "hollow" sound. If they look beat up, be careful!