Skip to main content

I am fairly new to all of this and I am finding very hard to make a final descision about setting up my home studio. I was going to set up with a digi 002, and an octopre (for recording drums) running on a 2.4 Ghz P4. But I am worried that I will out grow this setup as soon as I start working on more commercial type projects. My second choice was to run 2 MOTU 896's with Cubase sx and just add more when I need them. I would use my Mac but it is getting old now. ( Yikes G4 350 ).

Any ideas Guys?

Topic Tags

Comments

gdoubleyou Tue, 04/15/2003 - 20:36

I looked at it for a quick minute, and came to the conclusion that for about the same money I could get a digital mixer/PCI card combination.

For about the the same money you could get a refurb/used Mix24 TDM system.

If you have to have Pro Tools it would be ok, but the lack of SMPTE support made it a no-go for video work. ;)

anonymous Fri, 05/09/2003 - 22:38

Hello there,

Man, you're comparing two very different beasts here - Both will eat up your dough anyhow! I think you should bring in more specific items into this balancing-out act... Come on, a digi 002 cannot be strictly compared to two 896's along side a major sequencer. It's like trying to compare an all terrain 4x4 with a camper truck!

Be realistic and figure out where truly your priorities lie, and decide for yourself - no one else but you can tell you it's better to go and play Jazz or Classical or Techno....

In my view your question is too general for anyone else to contribute meaningfully - think about it!

Good luck and Cheers ;)

Opus2000 Sun, 05/11/2003 - 10:12

Alix is correct, you really can't compare those two!
The Pro Tools LE stuff is limited in track counts, plug ins you can use as well as any VST's out there.

The PC platform on the Steinberg side is much more stable than the Mac is especially if running OS 9.X since it's not true multi threading!
OS X still needs more support from hardware and software de bugging!

Obvioulsy you can't run DP on a PC but IMHO I hate DP! It's great for Midi and sucks for audio. Especially in the mixing and editing stages.

Remember that if you use a PC Native based application you can use any hardware you so desire. Pro Tools LE, you can only use their hardware and only one of them at a time!

Opus :D

x

User login