Skip to main content

So this is a big debate of mine.. i am looking to get a new interface to work with pro tools to start my new recording project. I have looked around a bit, but love the Firepod. It has 8 XLR inputs and its half the price of the 001. Which is better for the money in your opinion that is. Does the firepod even interface with pro tools?

Thanks guys!

Topic Tags

Comments

freesignal Wed, 03/14/2007 - 19:15

I also have never used Pro Tools and you can take what I say also with a grain of salt. When I was shopping around for a DAW setup, I was looking at the Digi002 and the Projectmix I/O with Pro Tools LE. What I was told was that unless you wanna shell out $10 Grand plus for an HD system, then you're wasting your time and money buying P.T. LE, because there are bigger and better setups out there for less money. That's when I bought a FirePod and Logic Express all for about $800, instead of the $2000 for a Digi 002 and do not have any regrets.

BrettFTH Thu, 04/05/2007 - 00:21

I have been using a firepod lately with Sequoia (my audio sequencer of choice) and I actually prefer my setup (pc) to the Pro Tools TDM system (mac) at my college recording studio (that I'm the general manager of). The last big project I did for the school was a 4 piece faculty jazz band that I tracked at the studio on our 96IO tdm system and then I dropped the waves into sequoia to mix and master. Its all preference and the specific system's capabilities that you are working on. If my computer wasn't such a complete beast of a machine I would probably mix on the TDM system but I prefer the sound of Sequoia's bus systems and its interface in general and I have yet to run out of processing power at 96k on my system that doesn't have a dedicated DSP processor. In my opinion pro tools is a waste of money unless you can afford to go TDM, and just for the record I also own an Mbox2 which is part of my mobile (mac) rig for live stereo recordings and so forth. But ya to the actual question, I feel that the firepod is better piece of hardware but if you are set on going pro tools then the digidesign interface is the way to go. Best of luck.

btw if the post rambled or didn't make sense at some points i apologize, I'm just coming off of a 24+hr mixing/paper writing session so ya if clarification is needed I shall return.