Skip to main content

I just bought one of these and cant get it to work.
There are LEDs on the front of this unit for each analoge channel that are supposed to light up when there
is an audio signal present (from mic or line) but they don't
light up at all. Would they light up reguardless of the optical cables being attached?

My interface is the Gina 24.
I hooked up the optical as follows; ADA optical out to Gina optical in. Gina optical out to ADA optical in.

Ive tried several mic cables.

Sample rates on both units are at 44.1 khz. Everything in the sofware console is unmuted.

When I look at the software console for the gina I can see a very
low signal in whatever channel a mic is plugged into the ADA. The signal jumps when I tap the mic but stays below -70 dB.

I'v tried using both condesor and dynamic mics and no luck with either.

Another thing I've tried is plugging a mic into my PreSonus preamp then, from PreSonus to an
analog input of my interface then, that signal from the optical out from Gina into the ADA800 and ran the analog
signal out of the ADA directly to my monitors. Guess what, I hear audio doing this! So the optical cables are fine.

Is there somting I'm not doing right? Is there a button Im not pushing

Comments

ghellquist Sun, 03/27/2005 - 10:11

There are only three buttons to push. Power and phantom power on the front. If you have condensor mics, the phantom power button should be lighted red. Synch on the back (try it as master and as adat in).

Best setup is probably to set the ADA as slave, and the gina as "internal" for the synch. Then you need to both optical cables connected.

It this does not work, get it back to the shop.

Gunnar

superman Sun, 03/27/2005 - 11:50

Thanks for the replies.

I tried both dynamic and condensors and those signal LEDs dont light up.

Today I tried jumpering the optical of the ADA to itself (ADA optical out to ADA optical in)
and then connected the ADA analog out directly to one of my monitors and I got no audio.
Shouldn't this give me an audible signal?

I tried using the ADA as a master and that is when I got the very
very low signal that I could see on the Gina software console
every time I tapped the mic.

But Ive also tried every sync setting on the ADA and the Gina with no success.

I will call behringer tomorrow but after that, this thing is going back.

Kev Mon, 03/28/2005 - 23:04

SUPERMAN wrote: Do you really think I didn't try that?

NO

just clutching and hoping for the obvious
when things get frustrating and you just can't see it ... I like to go back to the start.

I can tell you dozens of my fuck ups with my own work ... including working in studios and control rooms that I built.

" Kev what are you doing ?"
"I'm patching this to that"
" ??? But Kev, you know that patch it's over the other side ??? ... you installed it "
:shock: " AAHHRRGGG !!! "

This is still not getting you an answer and I am starting to think it is a unit fault at the optical send.

Do you know that the Optical recieve into the Gina does work ?
It has worked before ?

Double check your software patching in the Gina software.

When I look at the software console for the gina I can see a very
low signal in whatever channel a mic is plugged into the ADA. The signal jumps when I tap the mic but stays below -70 dB.

tell me about that again
the software tells you that the signal is there ?

seems like the optical is working BUT you are only seeing crosstalk

???? :?

superman Tue, 03/29/2005 - 09:34

Cool.

I called behringer monday and they said the signal LEDs
at the input should have lit up. They told me the unit
was defective so I took it back to the shop. Guitar Center (I have a friend that works there and he hooks me up)
ordered me another one and I should get it today.

Ill update as soon as I get it.

superman Wed, 03/30/2005 - 00:13

I got my new unit today.

Yeah! eight more channels!

The new unit works as it should now exept for one thing.

When I plug in a condensor mic it will work (give me audio)
whether or not the phantom power switch is set to on or off.

I heard that phantom power wont harm a dynamic mic, is this true?

Should I take it back? Is this the best I will get from this company?

Or should I keep it and work with what I got?

ghellquist Wed, 03/30/2005 - 15:13

SUPERMAN wrote:

I heard that phantom power wont harm a dynamic mic, is this true?

Sounds odd. What type of condensor mic? There are after all a a few with built-in batteries.

And there is no problem as such. No modern, dynamic XLR mic will be harmed in any way by phantom power, as long as your cable is not broken or shorted. Examples are, say Shure 57 or 58. Vintage mics you can never be sure of unless you know them.

Gunnar.

PeterZ Mon, 04/04/2005 - 04:24

Mine does the same. I have it for 18 month now and never knew because I always used condenser mics (only live application). 2 weeks ago I integrated it in my home studio setup and made a check with a sm57 and a C414: both mics worked well regardingless if the 48V switch was in or out. Strange, but I don't care.

Don't use any ribbon mics with phantom power!!!

BTW: I made a short comparisson with a few preamps (Millennia Origin, Focusrite Twintrak, RME Fireface and ) and converters (RME, Focusrite AD-Option, Lake People and ADA8000). It was a big surprise how good the ADA8000 performed. Still the combination Millennia/Lake People (together more than 4.000,- Euro) hat the most transparent highs and the best power in the lows, but the ADA8000 (Euro 200,-) did really well. Maybe this sound can be an advantage in some applications - I will know that in future.

I think the ADA8000 is a great deal.