Skip to main content

I found used JBL 4311 monitors. Could someone please tell me if they are really good studio monitors? How do they compare to NS-10s? Does mix on them translate well on all systems? Finally, how do I check if all the drivers are original?

Please help ASAP!

tnx

chris

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Wed, 04/16/2003 - 09:53

Chris,
As far as a comparison of the JBL 4311’s to NS10’s, it's a case of apples and oranges. There is a difference in design philosophy between the two. These are different animals. The 4311’s are studio monitors, have a response of about 45Hz to 15kHz. They handle about 75 watts continuous. I have had three different set of these types of speakers and I have always been able to get good results with them. I would say in my opinion the JBLs tend to be a more pleasing sounding speaker, not as “honest” as the Yamahas. But that being said JBL makes some great products. Regarding original components, it would be reasonably obvious if they have been replaced. I don’t think replacement parts are still available for the 4311’s although I am not positive in this regard. I located a PDF with the information from JBL. Here is a link.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/4311.pdf Kurt

KurtFoster Wed, 04/16/2003 - 10:30

Chris,
I would not pay that much for them. I would think $200 USD would be more appropriate. I myself would rather have a set of NS10's if I had to choose between the two. The 4311's are larger and have deeper bass response while the NS 10's are more linear in their response, better for focusing in on mids and mid bass frequencies. It would be nice to have both and to be able to switch back and fourth. I would mix more on the Yamahas and then go to the JBLs to check the lows.. Kurt

Davedog Thu, 04/17/2003 - 16:47

I cut my mixing teeth on a set of those JBL's...like many many many other 'elderly' recordists...Once you 'learn' them, like anything else there IS a learning curve...but in learning them you will be amazed at how well your mixes will translate to other systems...they were for all intents and purposes, the monitor of choice throughout the 70's...those and the 4312's and the big bro..4413's(???) could be a wrong number...but they had two bass drivers and they were a four-way with a dome hi-mid tweet and the 'nozzle' tweeter on the highs....400 is about the market if they've been reconditioned.

realdynamix Thu, 04/17/2003 - 17:45

Originally posted by Davedog:
I cut my mixing teeth on a set of those JBL's...like many many many other 'elderly' recordists...

Elderly!Ah hem :roll: , Rock never gets old. :s:

I still have my original pair. They have been painted many times. They have the original drivers and cones. Right now, they are set up for tri-power, and are still in great sonic condition. Here they are in this pic.
(Dead Link Removed)

--Rick

realdynamix Fri, 04/18/2003 - 17:07

:)Kurt gets the solid Gold Cupie Doll! :tu: Ya, it's a model 5, A-3340, A-3300SX 2 track, but, if you look closer, to the left of the M5, there is an A&H mini-mixer, a board way ahead of it's time, a board from which spawned all small mixers. And I still have it! I sold it to a production company, and they used it for over 12 years, and gave it back to me. The little board out did the 5 in many respects. Dig the phones? hee hee :s:

--Rick

BarefootStudios Fri, 04/18/2003 - 18:13

In a late 1970's interview in Guitar Player magazine,Frank Zappa staed the he used 4311's to mix and master (Joe's Garage album era)'cause so many of his listeners had them as their home speakers!He wanted them to hear exactly what hee was hearing!I think the JBL biggies were model 4333.I still have 2 pairs of JBL 4401 white cones in my studio.Anyone know where I may cop replacement white woofer or 2? (I think JBL will supply them,but,just like Yamaha,they can't seem to find the tree that makes the paper white)..........wondering when they will re-issue the NS10 for only about 1495.00 a a pair..........

3dchris Mon, 04/21/2003 - 08:56

Hehe....I see I started interesting thread :)
Thanks a lot everyone for posting. It looks like JBLs are still popular. Now I have another question: do you guys know anything about Yamaha NS 66 speakers? These look very old and I can't find any info about them. Any help? Would those be of any use in the studio?

thx again

chris

Davedog Wed, 04/23/2003 - 09:05

We could have a thread that only 'old deaf and blind AE's' could log onto!....Jeeezz i think I have a picture of me somewhere with most of the same gear in this little tiny control booth...we used to hang the speakers with the old woven jute flower pot hangers...! although when we got the warfdales we had to install them in the wall....the back of em stuck out into the studio...so funny so long ago.....

x

User login