Skip to main content

hello hello.

I currently have a Tascam FW-1884 (8 XLR ins). I also have a Focusrite Twin Track Pro that I run the outs from the Focusrite into the inserts on the Tascam thereby bypassing the pres on the Tascam.

I would like to get a nicer, high end multi-channel preamp (Focusrite Red or ISA, Grace, or something along those lines) but I want to be able to run them directly into my system (PC running Sonar 4 Producer). Being that the Tascam is my only interface/way in to the PC at this point, how should I best go about this?

I have looked at the MOTU's HD192...is this something that would work? I want to make sure I am getting the straight signal from the pre directly into the computer. Is lightpiping anything to my Tascam an option?

Thank you all in advance.this forum rocks!

Topic Tags

Comments

Cucco Tue, 10/25/2005 - 09:07

Well, it really depends.

Are you happy with your current setup? I only ask because I had a FW1884 and was not happy at all. As a control surface, I had major issues. As mic pres, I found them only okay - on par with other budget mixers. As converters, I felt this was their strongest suit. It's converters weren't half bad.

So, if you're finding that you agree with any of the above and are looking for a change, then there's a whole new world out there. If, however, you aren't finding this to be true (there are MANY satisfied FS1884 users out there - don't worry - if you're happy, stay happy), then there are add-on options.

We'll work off the assumption that you're happy.

Since it has lightpipe inputs on it, you might want to look at a box which has mic pres and light pipe output. There are many budget choices and many good choices. (I don't know of too many that are smoking besides maybe the ISA 428).

As for entry-level, you can look at the Focusrite Platinum series. You won't get "Great" pres, but you'll get decent pres. You also get decent conversion with it.

There are plenty of other budget line options.

As for mid-grade to higher grade, you're starting to look at the Focusrite platinum series. Another of my favorites is the RAMSA WZ-AD96M. This is a set of 8 excellent preamps followed by 8 excellent channels of conversion. You can only pick these up used as their no longer being manufactured. Their value is increasing though. You used to be able to buy them for $800 used (but in new condition) now, expect to spend $1000 or more. In any case, it's still a great value.

If you aren't happy with the Tascam, I would strongly recommend a Lynx AES 16 and the Lynx Aurora 16. This will get you up to 16 channels of high-resolution audio into your PC for less than $4K. You still need to add preamps, but if you're looking at upgrading, this is a great way to do it.

Just some thoughts...

J.