Skip to main content

Hi guys,
I'm in the market for a good digital stereo recorder in the 1500€ range.
I plan to record mainly solo classical grand piano in live environment (Auditoriums, Theatres, Churchs ecc.).
I'll use it with a matched Schoeps CMC5 MK21 pair.
I'm considering Tascam HD-P2, Fostex FR-2 and Korg MR-1000.
I know Korg records DSD and I fear this could be a relatively close system (though probably very good sounding in DSD, but converted in PCM how does it sound in relation to the Tascam and Fostex?); I need the best possible quality in this price range, so good preamps and converters but also the possibility of bypassing onboard preamps when I'll have the money to get some very high end preamp.
What do you recommend?

Comments

Cucco Thu, 01/10/2008 - 05:41

I have and use the Korg MR-1000 on almost a daily basis.

With the new software updates, the thing is rock solid.

The DSD sounds phenomenal and the conversion down to PCM sounds excellent as well. Even recording straight to PCM sounds excellent. In all, I have virtually nothing negative to say about the unit at all.

Using Schoeps mics, you'll be fine. When the preamps are pushed to higher gains, they don't sound great (better than most all-in-one units though.) At regular amplitudes or gain, they're quite usable. I've found that they are not forgiving of poor cable though. Also, when matching the device with a mic that is too sensitive (some DPAs come to mind), it will drive the unit's limiter and, IMO, the limiter is a worthless pile of excrement.

Again, your Schoeps should do fine to avoid this.

Also, they quite effectively bypass the preamps when you come into the unit at line level, so if you upgrade to a better preamp later, your unit will still be compatible and quite useful.

Consider this my glowing review for the Korg.

I can't speak to the Tascam or the Fostex other than to say that I've owned plenty of Tascam before and other than maybe a DA98, I don't see myself ever owning a Tascam again.

Cheers-
J

Cucco Fri, 01/11/2008 - 15:52

Yes. The limiter is engaged/disengaged by a switch on the rear of the unit. I would leave it disengaged and simply mind the gain. That limiter really only stays transparent at maybe 1-2 dB of very fast reduction. Beyond that...yikes.

Other than that, the unit friggin rocks! I don't have a single other complaint.

Okay, maybe 1. The spec indicates 96dB SNR. This is incorrect if measured within the audible band which is closer to 120dB SNR.

Cucco Fri, 01/11/2008 - 17:47

Twasn't me.

I've not owned or spent any serious time with the SD 702. What little time I've touched it (at trade shows) I was quite impressed by it. I've never put one in the field though.

I find the SD stuff to be cost prohibitive considering its limited scope and the kind of work I do.

rfreez Wed, 01/23/2008 - 02:48

check out the [="http://taperssection.com/index.php"]taperssection [/]="http://taperssectio…"]taperssection [/] forum. they talk lots of everything you need to know about stereo field recorders. as i understand, the fr2-le has very good preamps, and the sonics of the machine are easily upgraded by [[url=http://="http://www.oade.com/"]oade brothers[/]="http://www.oade.com/"]oade brothers[/]. and its pretty damn cheap.

you might also want to consider the sony pcm-d50, particularly for its digital inputs. you could pick up the said machine and an apogee mini-me and the necessary adaptors within yyour budget.

i was damn interested in the korg machine, but the actual improvement in quality that dsd offers has been called into question time and again. a recent survey suggests that most people cannot tell the difference, even under ideal circumstances.

just things to consider...

ghellquist Wed, 01/23/2008 - 08:48

722 vs mr1000

I own and use a SD722 for remote recording is very happy with that. This weekend I got to play with an MR1000 for the first time. Did two remote recordings, both with MKH20 mics, same signal into both machines simultaneously. The two recordings are of the same piece but in different churches.

In the first recording the built-in micpres where used. In the second I used four channels (two each) of a DAV BG2 and went line in. Sorry to say that it will take me a few days to get examples up, my life is simply too busy right now. The MR1000 was running 5.8MHz, the 722 at 24 bits and 96kHz.

First impression though: I definitely think I could live with the MR1000. Single thing missing for me is MS decoding on monitoring and playback. I find the conversion to wav for further treatment a small nuisance, but the audiogate software seems to do its job.

Second impression: there is something going on with the headphone amp either in the Korg or the SD -- monitoring sounds quite different in same headphones (HD280).

Gunnar

Cucco Wed, 01/23/2008 - 11:16

I don't care for the HP amp in the Korg - however, updating the firmware made it better somehow (not sure how this is possible, but it did.)

Originally, it was WAY too quiet and underpowered to provide even reasonable gain on a pair of Beyer 770Pros for classical work. Now, with the new firmware, it's better. It's not perfect, but it's better - a lot.

As for the unit itself, I'm still digging it a LOT!

Cucco Wed, 01/23/2008 - 11:18

I should also mention one bit of (understandable) quirkiness to the MR1000.

If you delete files from the unit by way of the computer (while it's in USB mode and you're looking at the MR1000's hard drive as an external drive), you had better empty your recycle bin immediately while it's hooked up.

If not, it doesn't clear the data from the hard drive and even though the device may show an empty drive, it will quit on you during a recording showing that the hard drive is full.

Another way around this is to simply format the MR1000 drive from time to time. Besides, I don't store the work on the MR1000 drive - as soon as I'm back home, I copy it over to the PC.

Boswell Thu, 01/24/2008 - 03:52

Cucco wrote: I should also mention one bit of (understandable) quirkiness to the MR1000.

If you delete files from the unit by way of the computer (while it's in USB mode and you're looking at the MR1000's hard drive as an external drive), you had better empty your recycle bin immediately while it's hooked up.

If not, it doesn't clear the data from the hard drive and even though the device may show an empty drive, it will quit on you during a recording showing that the hard drive is full.

Try using Shift-delete rather than just delete. This should delete the files rather than just move them to the recycle bin. You may need to do it once, hit cancel instead of OK, then do it again for real.

Cucco Fri, 01/25/2008 - 08:26

Yeah, I do that usually anyway, but sometimes, I just hit delete. It's one of those old habits that dies hard.

I'm content with reformatting (which is not a true reformat on this device - basically a header which says that all sectors can be overwritten) as its quick and a good reassurance that I'm good to go.

JackHenry Tue, 03/18/2008 - 17:59

While I realise this topic has been quite for a few months, I have a question.

I'm in the market for a field recorder and I'm looking at either the 702 (0r 722) or the Korg MR 1000.

Is there any issue with the 1000 having the connections at the back. I imagine when used in an over shoulder bag the unit wil be 'sitting' on the cable connections and causing some strain on them.

Is this an issue?? is there a work around??

Cucco Tue, 03/18/2008 - 18:03

It's not really an issue - the bag that's included has a velcro flap which provides a nice backdoor for the cables.

The only issue with the MR-1000 with field recording is that it doesn't like to be tossed around while recording. Although I've used it for several "over-the-shoulder" guerilla sessions, I'm always careful not to bang it around.

JackHenry Tue, 03/18/2008 - 18:09

While I realise this topic has been quite for a few months, I have a question.

I'm in the market for a field recorder and I'm looking at either the 702 (0r 722) or the Korg MR 1000.

Is there any issue with the 1000 having the connections at the back. I imagine when used in an over shoulder bag the unit wil be 'sitting' on the cable connections and causing some strain on them.

Is this an issue?? is there a work around??