With more and more studios foregoing consoles in favor of recording and mixing in the computer, a clean and versatile front end input stage is indispensible. There are dozens and dozens of channel strips and similar devices to choose from, but none that come close to the Channel by way of sound, features or performance.
The legendary Model 230 has been re-imagined, adding a host of new features to address a greater number of workflows while retaining the sound, functionality and versatility that made it one of the most in-demand processors ever for professional audio, live sound, broadcast and post production.
The Channel incorporates seven powerful devices within a compact, single rack space design, including five of Aphex's exclusive patented technologies. Together, the result is the highest possible audio quality, processing power and flexibility available.
The elegant front panel not only looks great, but is laid out in an intuitive, easy-to-use workflow with easy to understand labeling. Building on the foundation of the Model 230, the Channel features an instrument input, dedicated output and gain reduction metering, front panel sample rate and clock source selection, and a reference quality internal clock.
The Aphex Channel is a Tube Microphone Preamp and signal processor that is an indispensable broadcast station tool. You'll find them in the production room and installed as a permanent on-air processing for pumping up voices.
The Aphex Channel is a powerful and easy-to-use channel strip for commercial and project studios, featuring our reflected-plate amplifier tube microphone preamp design plus compression, gating, de-esser, parametric EQ, Aural Exciter, and Big Bottom bass enhancement. It is an extraordinary single rack unit that offers 7 of Aphex's most popular tools that help you work more easily and naturally, achieving the sonic quality you want without connecting several devices.
When space is at a premium in a touring rig, and night after night reliability is essential, the rugged Aphex Channel provides all the top quality processing needed for any instrument without taking up precious rack space.
Patented Reflected Plate Amplifier
(RPA) Tube Preamp
- Ultra-wide bandwidth, maximum gain and headroom
- Lower operating temperature than conventional tube designs for longer tube life
- Each unit is individually tuned at the Aphex factory for unparalleled consistency – any two units are a matched pair
EasyRider Class A Compressor
- Aphex's patented Wave Dependent Compressor – automatically adjusts attack and release times according to program complexity
- No-Knee compression curve circuitry – automatically adjusts compression ratio based on program levels
- Includes Aphex's 1001 Class A VCA, used in the Compellor and Dominator
Logic Assisted Gate
- Patented gate technology designed to avoid false triggers, clicks and chattering
- Split band universal de-esser designed to maintain presence while dramatically reducing sibilance on any voice
- Patented technology for deeper and more resonant bass with little or no increase in peak output
- For the ability to precisely fine tune the all-important midrange between the Big Bottom and Aural Exciter.
- Patented technology for increased presence and clarity with improved detail and intelligibility
- MIC INPUT
Type Transformerless, NPN active balanced, tube second stage
Input Z 2k ohms nominal
Maximum Input Level (MIL) +25dBu
CMRR >70 dB @ 60 Hz
Nominal Preamp Gain 20 to 65 dB
Phantom Power +48VDC
EIN -127dBu (Input Shorted)
Tube Type 12AT7/ECC81 Dual Triode
Connector XLR-3M and 1/4" TRS Phone Jacks
Type XLR is Impedance Balanced (may be used unbalanced); TRS is unbalanced
Out Z Balanced XLR 66 ohms
Out Z Unbalanced XLR 33 ohms; TRS 600 ohms
Nominal Level XLR +4dBu; TRS -10dBV
Maximum Output Level +25dBu Unloaded; TRS +11dBV
Attack / Release Program dependent, user variable release baseline
Knee Medium Hard
Attack 0.1 millisecond
Hold / Release 300 milliseconds / 400 milliseconds
Threshold Variable -50 to +20dB
Depth Variable, 1 to 58dB
Attack 0.1 millisecond
Release 100 milliseconds
Threshold Variable -20 to +20dB
Active Band 4 kHz to 20kHz Linkwitz-Riley 24 db/octave crossover
Connector type - Send 1/4" TRS Phone Jack, Balanced
Connector type - Return 1/4" TRS Phone Jack, Balanced
Nominal Operating Level 0 dBu
Point of Insertion Between dynamics processing and equalizers
- BIG BOTTOM
Frequency 50 Hz to 280 Hz
Tune Off to +12dB
- PARAMETRIC EQ
Frequency Tune 240 Hz to 8 kHz
Peak / Dip ±12dB
Q Range 0.5 to 5
Frequency Tune 500 Hz to 5kHz
Mix Off to +12dB