The Benchmark DAC1 HDR is an all-in-one reference-quality stereo pre-amplifier. This stereo pre-amp brings together all the best features and performance of the award-winning DAC1 family with the convenience of an intelligent remote control solution. The DAC1 HDR combines some of Benchmark's finest engineering accomplishments into one device: the DAC1 digital-to-analog
audio converter with UltraLock clock system, AdvancedUSB computer audio playback (USB DAC) interface, and the legendary HPA2 headphone amplifier. The unique remote control solution of the DAC1 HDR is built around Benchmark's new HDR-VC (high dynamic range volume control).
Benchmark's product designs have achieved unprecedented sonic purity due to an uncompromising engineering philosophy: eliminate digital distortion artifacts, establish a pristine analog path, and maintain sonic integrity regardless of external factors. The DAC1 HDR continues this tradition of excellence.
The remote control solution of the DAC1 HDR has an intelligent implementation of dimming and muting. The 'Dim' (quiet) and 'Soft-Mute' settings of the remote control can be easily adjusted independent of the normal volume setting. The DAC1 HDR remembers and recalls your specified 'Dim' setting. This feature is ideal for HDTV users, as it allows you to set your preferred 'Dim' level for commercials, etc. The 'Soft-Mute' function fades down the volume to the 'Dim' level before muting and smoothly raises the volume to the normal level after unmuting.
With a generous offering of inputs and outputs, the DAC1 HDR serves as the heart of expansive media and entertainment systems, optimizing the signal path from the various sources to the amplifier. The DAC1 HDR will enhance the audio performance of your digital television, digital cable box, DVD/CD player, computer, music/media server, satellite radio, and any other device with a digital audio output. Also, the HDR-VC will control the pristine path for an analog source, such as a phono stage, FM tuner, iPod, VCR, tape deck, etc.
All digital inputs on the DAC1 HDR (including the USB) feature Benchmark's jitter-immune UltraLock clock system. The USB interface operates with Benchmark's AdvancedUSB native 24-bit, 96-kHz USB technology. The DAC1 HDR features a high-current output stage designed to drive even the most difficult loads. Other features include selectable headphone gain ranges and an auto-mute function for muting the main outputs when headphones are being used.
- IR remote control with adjustable 'Dim' and 'Soft-Mute'
- High-Dynamic Range Volume Control w/ custom-built, motor-driven Alps volume pot
- Six Stereo Inputs: Analog RCA, USB, TOSLINK optical, and three digital coaxial
- Utilizes 24-bit, 192-kHz DAC1 D/A conversion system
- Benchmark's phase-accurate UltraLock technology provides total jitter immunity
- AdvancedUSB computer audio interface for native 24-bit / 96-kHz USB audio
- Compatible with Windows Vista/XP/2000 and Mac OS X without driver installation
- State-of-the-art LM4562 high-current, lowdistortion opamps in critical analog circuits
- Stereo outputs: XLR balanced, RCA unbalanced, HPA2 headphone jacks
- Built-in HPA2 headphone amplifi er - 0-Ohm, high-output, two output jacks
- HPA2 headphone amplifi er has selectable gain ranges to match headphone sensitivity
- Left-most headphone jack mutes XLR and RCA outputs (this feature is defeatable)
- On/Off button and rotary source selector
- "Calibrated/Variable" switch determines gain control for main analog outputs
- Internal trim-pots control gain of XLR and RCA outputs (in "Calibrated" mode)
- Selectable, low-impedance attenuators (0, 10, 20, or 30 db) on XLR outputs
- Front-panel LEDs display input and status
- International power supply with voltage selection on rear panel
- Low radiation toroidal power transformer signifi cantly reduces hum and line-related interference