1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

02R 24 bit ADAT cards?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by joe bregande, Mar 23, 2002.

1. joe bregande

joe bregande Guest

I am an 02R owner and am considering going to a 24 bit HD recorder using ADAT light pipe. However, the Yamaha ADAT card uses a proprietary Alesis optical chip that will only pass a 20 bit word length. Other than the expensive TC Electronic 02R Unit Y card (for which you're mostly paying for the plug-in processors), are there any reliable 3rd party 24 bit ADAT cards out there?
  2. Mark Haliday

Mark Haliday Guest

I don't know of any other cards but I worked with the TC , and they have a much higher tolerance to clock problems than the Yamaha ones.
    They also have TDIF that actually works.
    Apart from that the internal patching is a bit of an operational nightmare which means that the onboard processor (motorola 563xx) is only *really* usable if the card is in the slot originally meant for console linking (n°3 maybe?). It has a special access to the stereo bus and so enables you to patch the processor output directly onto the stereo mix which makes it a great addition for mixes.
    Expensive yes, but great quality.
    However I only used the reverb algorithms, since buying a second effect algorithm is ridiculously expensive.