1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

1/3 rackspace parametric EQ?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Exsultavit, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Exsultavit

Exsultavit Active Member

Folks-

I am looking for an EQ for my Martin D21 acoustic guitar (with Fishman undersaddle pickup) to do a little detail work on the frequencies. The important thing is that it be small: 1/3 rackspace (like my RNC= Really Nice Compressor) would be ideal. Also good (but not as important) would be parametric functions, or at least quasi-parametric (sweepable frequencies, but no bandwidth control). Line level is best, as I'll be dealing with the signal after it hits a mic preamp. So I am not looking for a high-impedance 'stompbox' type of thing.

Does anyone have one to recommend?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

About the only 1/3 rack width line-level parametric EQ box I know of is the PreSonus EQ3B, but I've never used it, so can't make a recommendation.

3. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I'd reconsider the space constraint. No question that space is an important consideration in a mobile rig, but you may be able to rethink your rig and give yourself a lot more choices in gear.

4. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

How about the Baggs Para Acoustic DI? It has four filters, two of which are semi-parametric. The little knobs do tend to be somewhat fragile.

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of the Baggs Para, but it didn't sound like what he wanted. He's already using a mic pre (unspecified). A good mic pre might be better than the Baggs - though the Baggs is designed for the very high impedance of piezo pickups. For those who are interested, Baggs also make a unit called the Venue - basically the Para with a clean boost and a tuner. Very nice.

6. bouldersound

bouldersound Real guitars are for old people. Well-Known Member

Well, it's small and it has the eq, and it may well provide a better interface for the piezo than the mic pre he's using. He would probably still want the pre in there after the Para Acoustic.

Yeah, I saw something about the Venue. It looks nice.

I was also going to mention the Symetrix SX201, a 1/2 RU 3-band parametric, but it is probably out of production.

7. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I was also going to mention the Symetrix SX201, a 1/2 RU 3-band parametric, but it is probably out of production.
    es it is...and it was a noisey little bastard, too.