1/4" mastering or 1/2"

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by blake eat world, Jun 28, 2001.

1. is it worth investing in a 1/2" instead of a 1/4" for mastering(big quality difference)?

also, which brands have most of you liked most? I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to tape machines.

2. brad

brad Guest

3. Mixerman

Mixerman Active Member

Unless you're in a market that has a high demand for 1/2" format, I'd stick with the 1/4" machine. The format sounds great, is way easier to get parts for, and tape costs are considerably cheaper.

If you want to upgrade, then get a better 1/4' machine if that's applicable here.

Mixerman

4. PaulStory

PaulStory Guest

Blake,

I'd agree with mixerman on this one. Unless you are going to need 1/2", a 1/4" machine can sound very nice. I have a 3M M79 that was completely rebuilt. I like how it sounds a lot. You could ask Fletcher if he has any 1/4" machines in stock. Good luck!

5. audiogeek1

audiogeek1 Guest

If you don't mind a workhorse type of machine look into the Otari MTR10 or 12. You can even get 1/2" heads and guides later that will fit either of those machines. I like my MTR10 because it has never given me a problem and when it is 1/4" (which it is most of the time) it still sounds really good.
    Hope this helps

Michael Maughan
    Mastering Engineer
    Catface Productions
    Portland Oregon
    audiogeek1@netscape.net

6. thanks guys, i'm so glad I'll be fine with 1/4". I really didn't want to spennd more for 1/2"

7. how are the otari mx5050 and MX-50n machines?

8. brad

brad Guest

9. JS

JS Guest

I am with Mixerman on this. I have a Studer A80 that I wanted to turn into 1/2" from the 1/4" it ever was. After considering my market acceptence I kept it as is for just those reasons!

JS

10. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Does anyone still take 1/4" pre-masters? I guess I'm asking about the pressing operations that'll make you 1000 CD's and the artwork. Just wondering aloud.

Bear