1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 channel mic pre picks

Discussion in 'Recording' started by ShoeBoxDude, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

Hey guys,

Lookin for a solid 2 channel mic pre, with some eq. compression would be nice but not a must. mostly for drums, kick snare typething. if its sweet on other stuff then even better. No tubes. something that sounds sort of like '^#$% you'.

any good/bad words on the joemeek twinq, or toft stuff?

im looking in the $700-$1400 range.

suggestions would be wicked!

-the duuuude
  2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001

An API based idea
    John Harvey
    Fred Forssell

Seventh Circle
  3. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

May 25, 2005
    Home Page:
    For that "^#$% You" slammin' 2 channel solid state you might wanna check out the Hamptone JFET at hamptone.com

You can have one built for around $800 and it's a dream on drums.

or the Sytek MPX-4Aii. It's 4 channels for for less than 1k you can get 2 channels with the Burr Brown opamps that rock for drums.
  4. FifthCircle

FifthCircle Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Home Page:
    At the upper range of your price limit- the A Designs Pacifica. Simply one of the best pres I've used.

FWIW, I haven't used a single combo mic-pre/eq/comp that I've liked all parts of. Better to use single units that do one thing well.

5. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

thans for all the replies guys.

good call. i think ill focus on the mic pre thing, since that is something a daw just can't do, no matter how sweet your plugs are.

the Sytek MPX-4Aii is looking the most attractive in terms of value, anyone else had some good experiences with it?

6. ShoeBoxDude

ShoeBoxDude Guest

any thoughts on the universl audio new solo mic pres? they look like theyll be reasonable price as well.
  7. huub

huub Guest

Hmm..they sound a bit more 'gee wiz you guys' then '^#$% you'..
    (I'm just making this up.)
  8. dudge

dudge Active Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Two channel rack mount Brent Averill 312A says "^#$% you" on drums, and is excellent on a lot of other stuff. :D