1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 Important Questions, Please Respond!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jimi_hendrix_2, Jul 16, 2007.

1. 1: When micing a two-speaker combo amplifier (Marshall Jcm 2000 Tsl602), would it be beneficial to mic both speakers in different ways? If so, please advise me on how this could be best done. I have a medium-high grade AKG condenser, a Rode Nt-1, a Shure SM57, a Shure SM58 and a Sennheiser E845. Which of these would be the best for recording a guitar combo amplifier?

2. I have a Mackie 24 track digital console and optional rack compressors, reverb units and noise gates. I record onto hard disk. Do I really need to use protools to get great drum/guitar sounds?

2. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

1.KISS... keep it simple stupid... why go looking for problems with the multimic idea... 57...

2. no... lottsa great sounds were recorded long before profools...

3. TheBear

TheBear Guest

try all of the mics and and mic placement and decide which one you like best. we all have different tastes in the sound of our intruments...experiment and find urs.

and no...u dont need protools.

4. Halifaxsoundguy

Halifaxsoundguy Active Member

For fun try a couple mics. But each mic picks up a different range of frequencies. I've gotten monster guitar tone with that.

5. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

Take a flashlight; use it to find the center of the speaker cone. Point a 57 at outer edge of the of speaker cone. I usually have mine nearly touching the grill cloth. A few cm either way will change the sound drastically, so listen, and take what you like. Each speaker will sound different so try them both. If you want to add another mic do it, but be cognizant of phase issues and the 3:1 rule.

6. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

1) If you only have one guitar in the track, and you really need to fill sonic space with it, try a 57 on one speaker, and a SDC on the other speaker.

However, I believe in "KISS" and "Less Is More" methods...

2) Pro Tools not needed.