1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 Mice at Once?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by walter, Apr 4, 2003.

1. walter

walter Guest

Hi. I'm having a guest guru-type engineer come over to my studio to help me sort out some tough mixes. I use an unusual track ball mouse - Mouse Traks Professional - which is a hell of a mouse once you get used to it, but takes a while to get used to.

I'm sure my friend has a mouse he prefers and would be a lot quicker using.

Can we use both mice at once?

Or can XP only load drivers for one mouse at a time?

My mouse is a USB mouse, I'm not sure what my friend would use. . .
  2. Fothermucker

Fothermucker Guest

Interesting. I've never tried installing two mice at once. I dont think it's possible because windows has specific mouse settings in the control panel and I think you can only use one at a time. Loading drivers for two different pointing devices will most likely cause issues.
  3. Blutone

Blutone Guest

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's possible if one mouse is USB and the other is serial. :confused:
  4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    Yes, you can have two mice going at once!
    Friend of mine has that via USB!

So two USB mice will work...

Opus :D
  5. Blutone

Blutone Guest

Umm....How's he got it config'd? I don't plan on implementing this any time soon, but it sounds like walter might. And for anyone else interested, might be cool to know for future reference. ;)
  6. Opus2000

Opus2000 Distinguished Member

Apr 7, 2001
    No special configurations needed at all.

Simnply plug them both in to a USB hub or two ports and you're good to go!

Simple as that!

7. Blutone

Blutone Guest

DOH! That's too simple. Now, I feel stupid for asking, LOL. :s:
  8. walter

walter Guest

Well, we'll give it a try and hope we don't cremate any rodentia or mobos!

Will report findings later this month.
  9. walter

walter Guest

The guru forgot to bring his mouse so I couldn't test dual mice.

However, I did get the idea once we really began piling up the track and plug counts that XP Pro is happiest with PS2 mice for mission critical applications.

My friend said Microsoft has made this recommendation to him. Also, a call to MouseTraks also confirmed this suspicion, as they admit that although they have newer USB drivers than the ones on my mouse's firmware, PS2 mice are just more bulletproof in XP.

So what I'm saying is not that USB mice don't work well under normal conditions; I'm saying that when things get dicey, a USB mouse might be a weak link that is best avoided.