1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 quick questions

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by Trace113, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Trace113

Trace113 Guest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkL5o14edjQ

in this video are the duvet comforters in the background have a good sound isolation for vocals and what is that clamp thing that attaches to his shockmount?

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

They're not really duvets... Not sure what they are.

The clamp? Probably a mic stand ;)
    No, it's a pop filter. Reduces breath noise too.

3. apstrong

apstrong Active Member

Looks like packing blankets to me, the kind you get when you rent a u-haul. I know a few people who use them for a little bit of moveable sounds treatment since they are denser than a down or polyester duvet (felt inside?). Drape them over some mic stands to create an impromptu isolation booth. Just don't expect them to actually isolate anything - they will tame some of the reflections and that's about it, and sometimes that's all you need.

4. Trace113

Trace113 Guest

the clamp looks like it's from the mic stand yet i can't find one

5. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

One of these? Something like it?

6. Trace113

Trace113 Guest

No I have that actually. http://allhiphop.com/stories/multimedia__video/archive/2009/06/13/21667560.aspx

sorry for the shitty song haha but that is another view of it. That gold thing with the black clamp at the end of the microphone

7. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Its part of the mic. That mic is a Sony 800G. A very very good mic at that.

8. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

That "clamp thing" is the Pellitier cooling device that keeps the Sony's tube
    operating temperature stable. Like DD said, this is a VERY nice mic. And for the price it costs, it should include a Carrier HVAC to keep it cool!