1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 Stereo mic techniques - Can you hear the difference?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Trumpetz, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Trumpetz

Trumpetz Guest

Hi

I recorded some music with an organist (& myself on trumpet) in a church recently and I thought it would be interesting to use 2 different stereo mic techniques to see how they differ and which sound I prefer.

Have a listen to the files here: http://www.trumpetracks.com/stereotechniques.htm and see what you think.

Don't be afraid to have a guess!

2. Cosme

Cosme Guest

I like the first track, it seems more smoothe and wide and perfectly phased. I would've sweared that these are a pair of MD 441's, their tone is just beautiful, and I would guess that they're placed side by side about 2 feet away and at aproximatelly 90 degrees apart from each other facing the trumpet's sound hole? Just guessing

3. SkamaWhoHa

SkamaWhoHa Guest

I'm probably not very good at this, but my guess is that the first is XY, the second is spaced omni.

4. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I believe your first cut was an MS recording with a very nice solid trumpet center.

I believe your second cut was a nice XY recording that made the trumpet a little more ambient albeit still centered.

I like the first one best.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

I can't wait to hear what the results really are?