1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

2 tracks into one channel on a board??

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by ob1027, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ob1027

ob1027 Active Member

So, lets say I have more tracks on my sequencer than In's on my board. I take the sound from the computer to the board and tweak it in the analog world, can I get some kind of 'Y' plug and take two different tracks and mix them into one channel effectively or am I creating more problems? Should I just combine the tracks in the sequencer and take that 'new' channel and pump it into the mixer?

2. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

Not prudent.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Not exactly sure what you are using and how many DA you have available but why not group tracks and sent those as stems out to your analog mixers and do it that way. Group tracks with similar transients makes a killer mix.

4. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

Don't do that. You shouldn't physically connect (directly) two outputs into one input. That's what mixers (with the proper circuitry) are for.

Do it in the "sequencer", by either combining tracks in software to the necessary number of outputs (mixing some tracks to one or two (stereo) tracks), or as audiokid says, assigning the tracks to buses to mix down to the necessary number of outputs to match the inputs.

Why are you taking recorded tracks from the computer, and running them through a mixer? Just curious.

It may also be helpful to list your "sequencer" software, whether you are running MIDI/VSTi/etc. and recorded tracks (vocals, guitar, etc.), your computer interface, your mixer...and a brief explanation of what you are trying to achieve with your inquiry?

Kapt.Krunch