1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

3D directional recording

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by taag, Dec 22, 2008.

1. taag

taag Guest

What are the best available products (microphone or array of microphones) available for highly directional sound recording in 3D? Can you convert them for 7.1 encoding? Anyone else would love to have such products?
  2. Space

Space Distinguished Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Wait for it....
  3. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Can I start? There's that word "best" again. Is there a best anything? What is the best music?

What is 3 d recording? If it must be converted to 7.1 how are you able to achieve it otherwise? I imagine you would need at least 4 speakers to create any sort of dimensional image. Ideally, I would think you'd need at least 16. Two front, four side, two rear, four in the ceiling and four in the floor. That's a 16 channel speaker system for a basic three dimensional sound. Even then, you wouldn't really be able to portray distance in the space directly surrounding you. Only the distance that exists from the walls and beyond. It would be "3d" but you'd still feel like you're in a bubble.

Anyone care to burst my bubble on this one? Am I way off?
  4. StephenMC

StephenMC Guest

Some seasoned engineers attempt to emulate 3d sound by using a piece of vintage pro audio equipment called heroin.
  5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    4 on the floor is available from Hurst. Damn I loved those in the 1968 GTO's. Little GTO you're really looking fine. Three deuces and a 4-speed and a 389. Waw waw Little GTO.....

Somewhere I still have that 45? Record that is.
    Ms. Remy Ann David
  6. taag

taag Guest

I think I was not specific enough. Let me rephrase the question.

Suppose there is a microphone which is capable of recording from all directions in 3D then electronically separate and record sounds from distinct directions. For example, say there are 3 musical instruments at 3 different angles and some noise coming from a air-conditioner somewhere from the roof. This microphone should be able to record/separate 3 musical sources separately while eliminating noise from air con.

My Questions are
    (i) have you known of any such microphone/system
    (ii) Does such a microphone/system have any use for you?
  7. Greener

Greener Guest

Don't push smack, some $*^t just ain't cool. Junkies make crack whores look like prom queens. ^#$% it actually, people can do what they want. If you want to jack in and become a fuckin' zombie then I'll do what I want and drive over you. Sound fair?
  8. iamfrobs

iamfrobs Guest

What is going on in this thread exactly?

I would just use an omni while recording and doping up personally. Seems like this concept would make sense to me then.
  9. Greener

Greener Guest

Well MC suggested we make a production with a Female hero and I suggested we spice things up with some horror and a car chase scene... Why? What do you think is going on?
  10. Boswell

Boswell Distinguished Moderator Resource Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Home Page:
    This site has information about a commercially available 3-D recording system:
  11. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Every recording I make is 3 dimensional.

Afterall, time is in fact a dimension. Width and Depth aren't a problem.

Discrete mic'ing of instruments is nothing new. Doing it from within a single mic isn't terribly new (as Boz points out.) The problem with the situation that you're describing is one with physics, not with mic'ing. You see, if there's an AC making noise at some single point within a room, the sound propogates throughout the room and fills all of the space in the room. Therefore, your other mics will pick up the sound of the AC regardless of which direction they're pointed.

There's a lot of information on discrete mic'ing - poke around here and you'll see a lot about it.