1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

4 channel pre

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Faeflora, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

I'm lookin' for a nice 4 channel pre. I want something good. I'm trying to get 8 channels and I've already decided on 4 channels of GML. Oh, my MAX budget is 4k?

2. Faeflora

Faeflora Guest

Ooch, I'm answering my own question here. Anyone used the earthworks pre? I know it's supposed to be "clean" like the GML.

3. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

My classical / location recording chum raves about his Earthworks mic pre pair.
    :)

1 x Telefunken V76 ?

Pair Avril Neve pres ?
    Pair Avril API pres ?

Mix & match!

4. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Home Page:
    Millennia Media is also excellent. Tubes or Solid State...same "clean" tradition as the GML.

5. Scott Gould

Scott Gould Active Member

If you get the Earthworks LAB102 and a Crane Song Flamingo, you could just make your $4K budget. The Earthworks are clean, flat, excellent transient capture; the Flamingo can be that way too - until you switch in the FAT or IRON to flatter a less than stellar source.

Scott

6. Recording Engineer

Recording Engineer Active Member

If you're looking for a preamp to (I quote) "allow you to hear EXACTLY what your microphones reproduce", then I recommend the DaviSound TB-6. If you're looking for a preamp to "color" your sound, I recommend the API 3124. BOTH are GREAT 4 channel pres, just 180 degrees different in "sound" (or "sound-less") AND philosophy.

I also highly recommend not allowing huge price differences to fool; even when comparing preamps of the same "type".

http://www.davisound.com
    http://www.apiaudio.com