1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

4 compressors in series

Discussion in 'Recording' started by walters, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. walters

walters Guest

Why is it when i put audio through alot of compressors
    it gives me like a Milky Creamy Fat sound?

What makes the compressor circuit turn the audio to
    the Milk and creame?

I put 4 compressors in series and i got more Milk and Cream
    and Thick sound out of the audio but why?

I though compressors just squeezed the sound together?

2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

4-compressors all working a little almost always sounds better than one compressor working a lot. When you use gear like that in series you are building and layering sound to create an overal tone. This can be good or bad depending on many variables.

What you call milk and cream are likely the artifacts of cheap compressors that are struggling to give high quailty non colored sound. The milk and cream outcome is likely at the expense of gving up detail, loss of hi-end, lack of depth and dimenision and a sloppy low end. But then there are times when that is what is exactly what is needed or desired.

Squeezing sound is only ONE thing compressors do. I use compressors all the time, and often in series as a form of eq and tone generators. Sometimes with very little to no compression.

3. walters

walters Guest

How do you use a compressor as a form of eq and tone generators?

What are the settings like?

Whats a tone generator ?

4. walters

walters Guest

i use the Dynacomp MXR compressors 2 before my MXR phase 90
    and 2 Dynacomps MXR comprssors after the phaser and it gives
    a very layered creamy milky silky Buttery thicknes to it why
    is that?

How can a compressor function to make a audio signal thick
    and layered ,layered to the point that its silky and buttery?

5. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

if you have all this great gear why don't you know how it works or why it works. have you ever thought about going to school or getting a book to try to understand whats going on.

6. walters

walters Guest

This is not great gear its guitar pedals and i have books
    but doesn't talk about this leave me alone please johnny

7. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

Content deleted by moderator

8. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Holy Moly Batman!
    Pipe down! I get stressed too, but then I go hit the bong. Just like the President does! And Montel Williams, and Woody Haroldson, and Bill Clinton, and the Pope. Ohh that's right...they haven't uncovered that one.............YET

9. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

i already apologized to him on another post, he just gets on my nerves when he snaps back at people. out of town bong isn't nearby.

10. JBsound

JBsound Guest

It has to do with the amount of time that the audio passes through when using multiple compressors. The few nanoseconds added actually contributes to the time/space continuum, similar to the flux capacitor. This combination of physics and chemistry takes the pico-electrons and "melts" them together in a new stereoisomeric pattern. Thus the creaminess. The milk is just a by-product.

11. killersoundz

killersoundz Guest

oh my god i'm seriously like pooping myself this is one hell of a funny post.

12. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

i really wanna help this poor guy. i must be as insane as him.

13. walters

walters Guest

whats a flux capacitor?

stereoisomeric pattern?

Even Just one MXR Dynacomp compressor really squeezes the
    guitar sound this squeezing gives that creamy Buttery thickness
    sound but most compressors don't do this?

Some compressors are transparent and add no colour this
    MXR adds not colour but Thickness and very Layered making it
    creamy and buttery why is that

If i put the MXR dynacomp on my tracks it thickens and makes
    them very layered thick

Is it because of the Attack and its struggling to work hard
    what is it that give that cheap compress that sound?

14. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

he's jerkin your chain man, a flux capacitor is the time machine thing from back to the future the movie. not many people are taking you seriously on here. some compressors are better than others just like other equipment. that compressor must be ok cause thats pretty much what you want, i like my joe meek comps.

15. JBsound

JBsound Guest

I think Walters is jerkin our chain.

16. walters

walters Guest

no im not im just wonder about why compressor work different
    and can be set up different thats all
    sorry if you feel like that i am

17. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

honestly man best thing to do is just do things you'd consider not normal, twist your knobs like crazy just get the thoughts of everything must be this way outta your head. i used to think everything had to be this way or that way and i was wrong. just experiment.

18. walters

walters Guest

Compressors can have many functionality to it
    just wanting to know why and how to get more functionality
    out of a compressor

19. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

thats why i said twist your knobs and see what happens. really man buy a book, or something, you're asking so many different forms of questions.

20. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Well-Known Member

Yo walters, Assuming that your not a troll, use the search function here and on the net in general for specifics on what and how compressors work. It seems clear that at this point in time, that you need not worry about why, but to do what sounds best to you which has far more value. Knowing why isn't going to make any difference with those toys your using. It's hard to believe you can like or even hear milk and cream over all the noise those toys generate. Have fun with your toys. Leave the why and the details for the grown ups. You might find more specific info at your level at homerecording.com.

Someone move this to the budget forum...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.