1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

$400 to $600 Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by mallardduckman, Jun 17, 2005.

1. mallardduckman

mallardduckman Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Hey guys, you may want to throw this one into Budget Gear but I'll try it here first.

I'm looking to spend $300-$600 on a large diaphragm condenser mic and would love some advice. The main use will be for vocals, but of course I want something versatile to use on amps, acoustic guitars etc.

I don't currently have fantastic mic pres - I plan on buying one soon, but that's another can of worms; it's also the reason I am only spending $300-$600.

I've narrowed my search down to the Rode NT2A or Studio Projects C3. While there are lots of reviews of the SPC3, I can't find much info regarding the NT2A.

I really have 2 questions

1) In your humble opinions would you choose the C3 or the NT2A?

2) Are there other mics I should take a look at? (I already own 2 Kel HM-1s and I am NOT going the Marshal MXL route)

Thanks to all who read and reply!!

2. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Portland, OR
    The NT2A can sound thin and britle if the wrong pre-amp is used.
    Studio Projects C3 is a better choice IMO if you don't have the pres.
    And as your Mic cabinet grows, I think the C3 would still get used.
  3. John Stafford

John Stafford Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2004
    I got an AT4060 a while back, and I love it. If you shop around you can get one for under $700. It's a fantastic vocal mic.

John Stafford
  4. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    The ATs have remarkable mic to mic consistancy, something that is rare in the Chinese mics. I have a C3 and I think it's bright. A lot of people want to compare it to a U87 but I think it sounds more like a solid state version of the AKG C12 but without the good-ulation the tube supplies.
  5. BDFitz

BDFitz Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Lake Arrowhead
    Home Page:
    I've hear good thingsabout the new Rode mics. I have the NTKs and they get plenty of use. Some vocals, Drum overheads, percussion and one of my favorites on Acoustic Guitar.

The AT mics are also good. I think one of the best mic deals right now is the Cascade v55 (sale price) which is a great tube mic if you're using solid state or tube mic pres.

A friend just recommended (very strongly) the Studio Projects T3 (tube) $699 List and he flipped over his AEA R84 for vocals (where my Royer R121 falls a little short but its the best on Amps I've ever heard. The Cascade is well worth a listen at $499. I'd have to hear the T3 myself but I'll bet it's great too.
  6. M9

Did you heard the M9 tube from CAD ??

I don't know if you are looking for a solid or a tube mic, but I have one here and I think is one of the best mic for vocals that $400-500 can buy... And not just for vocals, but drums OH, Acoustic Guitar, and others.
    It's incredible what the CAD was able to do. A really big sound tube mic for under $500.

7. Marjan

Marjan Guest

Here is my opinion...

The C3 tends to be warmer, whereas the NT2-A tends to be brighter.
    If I were to have only one mic for vocals, I'd rather have the C3 than the NT2-A, although they're both nice. Ocasionally, the NT2-A might be more suited for female vocalists, as it sounds a bit "airyer".
    But I must say I've never done a side by side comparison.

Anyway, my advice is: buy the T3. In this price range, this is the best mic I came accross.
    I also have an NTK in my studio, but the T3 gets used much more often.
  8. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2003
    AT 4050 is nice, multi pattern and can be had for about $400 if you look around.