1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

5 mics to choose from...

Discussion in 'Microphones' started by zzzounds, May 29, 2007.

1. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

hi there!
    am choosing a new mic for my home studio (vocals & instruments), but the doubt got over me...
    the choices are:
    * Rode NT 1 A
    * AKG C-2000 B
    * AKG C-3000 B
    * SE 2200 A
    * Audio Technica AT 3035
    can anyone offer me a good "comparison test"? any other mic suggestion in this price range?
    thanks
    §

2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

In the range of "versatile" mics out there for very little money, I would strongly advise the following:

1 - Avoid the AKG C2000, C3000, or C4000 like the plague
    2 - Rode is almost always a safe bet
    3 - AT is almost always a safe bet (Though, I would go just a little higher and get the AT 4040 or 4033 (or heck, maybe the 4047). The little extra money spent will MORE than justify itself when you use a mic of this caliber. IMO, the 40 series of AT mics represents some of the finest value in microphones anywhere on the planet. You get a FANTASTIC mic at a stupid cheap price.

Good luck!

J.

3. Big_D

Big_D Well-Known Member

Well said, I couldn't agree more!

4. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Since you haven't listed what you do have, I recommend the "staples," which will equal most of the mics already mentioned in this thread:

EV RE20 or RE27
    Sennheiser MD421
    Shure SM7B

These EV and Shure mics manage to sound better than most condenser mics for some jobs - vocals in particular. And few can match the 421 on guitar amps/cabs. All of which cost less than good condenser mics.

I agree with avoiding AKG's lower end mics. However, if you are willing to spend for the upper AT mics, go a step further and get into Nuemann, Schoepps, Royer, and other top name brands. You won;t regret that. Plus, as an added bonus being great mics, the bragging rights feel really good!

If I only knew then what I know now!! YMMV...

Cheers!

5. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

I will choose free will.

6. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

Huh? :?

7. MetalGod

MetalGod Guest

Hehe, yes indeed...what mic would you use to record a celestial voice? :D

8. Groff

Groff Active Member

I would choose between AT4050 (more neutral/less colored) and NT2-A (slightly hyped but in a good way). In general (not written in the stone) if you do lot of acoustic then AT could be better choice. For the rock/pop NT2-A could bring up some aggressiveness.

I don’t like the sound of AKG 2000/3000 too.

9. Cucco

I agree that owning a great mic is a great thing, but....

We've taken this guy from a $200 mic (the ones he asked about) to a $300-$400 mic (AT 4040/4033/4047) up to a $1k to $4K mic. I don't think that's what he's looking for.

Besides, most studios wouldn't have enough use for a Schoeps microphone to warrant their purchase.

Cheers -

J.

10. LAVLAB

LAVLAB Active Member

i'm no expert, but the se 2200a works well for me. a great all-arounder.

11. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

"We've taken this guy from a $200 mic (the ones he asked about) to a $300-$400 mic (AT 4040/4033/4047) up to a $1k to $4K mic. I don't think that's what he's looking for."

that's the point guys... i simply cannot afford a very expensive mic now, and for a home/project studio, i also think it's not essential one of those super mics.
    i've been checking the at 4040, and it's the very limit of my price range; have to check the 4033 now. but i'm enjoying the discussion about it, and am checking some new mics i hadn't even seen before.
    any more advises please let me know; i'll buy them only in 2 weeks time.
    thanks
    §

12. Cucco

The only reason I recommend the 4033/4047 is because you can often find them on E-bay for the same price as a new 4040.

I have 2 4040s though and I love them!

J.

13. tifftunes

tifftunes Active Member

This forum seems (from my limited view anyway) to avoid Oktava. Why is that?

The ML2500 is a good tube mic that works well on many things (most notably on vocals). I also happen to have and like the ML52 ribbon, which sounds good on acoustic guitar as well as vocals and drum overhead.

Both are close to the specified price range (don't get a used Oktava ribbon though).

14. Cucco

Mainly because:

1 - there are 2 "Oktavas" - 1 Russian (good) and 1 Chinese (less than good).

2 - Even the good (Russian) Oktavas are plagued with quality-control issues.

15. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Yeah...quality control is an issue with these. There is not a problem with how they sound. I have a Russian made one and got lucky and got a wednesday mic.....It has a very similar tone to my early U87 just not the output. But for someone on a strict budget, I would not recommend the Octavas even though I personally like them. For someone who has a decent locker already and is looking for some 'cheap flavor' I say go try as many as you can and buy the ones that sound best right out of the box.

16. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I'll be the spoiler here.........the AT3035 knocks the stuffing out of the 4050. I own both and use the 3035 on more sources with more consistent results. When the 4050 is right, it's fantastic..... but it ain't hardly neutral. There's a bump at 8k, go look at the specs on the AT website. The 3035 is much more neutral and extremely low self noise as well. I use them (I own 2) on vocals, piano (favorite), horns, upright bass, electric and acoustic guitar, etc..... I also agree regarding the AKG's, I own a 3000 and can't wait to lose it.

If you want to hear some examples of the 3035, all the vocals and most electric guitars on the clips here were done with one:

http://www.myspace.com/sonicsculptureinc

17. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I like the At4040 and the AT3035, I find the rode mic nice too but a little boosted in the upper mids for some applicatons.

18. zzzounds

zzzounds Active Member

ok people, as i guessed before, my doubt about the mics turned a bit to other side...
    so now, instead of those 5 mics i've asked your opinion about, my mind is almost done, between 3 of the most discussed here:
    * AT 3035
    * AT 4040
    * Sennheiser MD 421

one of you said AT 4040 wouldn't provide me the best answer in some situations, where the AT 3035 would show better results. i heard the tracks in the myspace address you sent, and definitely, i do think the mic goes better for male vocals than female, even if these are not bad at all!
    and what about the MD 421 (someone mentioned something about it before)?
    thanx for all your advises
    zr §

19. llatht

llatht Active Member

I recently got a 4033 and I love it. It really puts the smack down on my AKG C3000b. Many times they go for under $250 on ebay (which is where I got mine).

20. mikey77

mikey77 Guest

Worth having a listen to the CAD M179. Very versatile and works well on a lot of things. Even the CAD GXL 3000 is pretty good and MF is clearing them for $70 right now.

(Dead Link Removed)