1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

5 watt amp into extension cab

Discussion in 'Accessories / Connections' started by prsnut, Jan 23, 2010.

1. prsnut

prsnut Active Member

Hello again,

I have a Fender Champion 600 5 watt tube amp. I like the low volume clean tones that this amp provides, however the 6" speaker sounds terrible when the volume is turned up and starts to overdrive the tubes. I think the best way to describe the sound is flabby and farty. I'm a big fan of crunchy.

A conclusion I've reached to solve this problem is getting a 1 x 12 extension cab to plug the amp into. I'm curious how many of you out there have done this, and what kind of results you have achieved? Is a 5 watt amp powerful enough to drive a 12" speaker and actually cause the crunchy break up that I want to achieve?

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Jeremy

2. Sundhy

Sundhy Active Member

I have had very good results using a 10" Weber Blue Pup speaker. Makes the amp sound much bigger and has a nice breakup.

Sundhy

3. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

+1 on that, of course I have one of Sundy's amps, the minimee, which has that speaker and it sounds great even with 13 watts full bore but also sounds real good at lower levels as well.

4. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I would personally buy an Avatar Contemporary 1x12 cab with a Celestion Greenback or G12H30 speaker. That's going to run you $250 plus shipping. It's not cheap, but then again neither is great tone :D The Greenback's actually break up quite early, so while your amp most likely will not overdrive them, it might coax out their signature sound. That's not such a bad thing though, overdriving speakers is overrated anyway ;)

http://www.avatarspeakers.com

5. prsnut

prsnut Active Member

I appreciate the feedback from all of you. It seems that this is a pretty common practice with positive results. Will let you know how it works out

Jeremy