1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

8 mic pre channel ?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by andre77, Mar 9, 2004.

1. andre77

andre77 Guest

Hello!

I would like to ask you what are your favorite 8 mic pre channel sice I'm thinking on buying one and I would like to know opinions here. Low or high budget, does not matter.

Thanks !

Andre

2. Presonus Digimax LT
    Focusrite Octopre

2 good 8 channel preamps, i believe they are both ADAT

3. dudge

dudge Active Member

Kurt Foster has been recommending the JLM Audio TMP8.
    Check the reviews section of this site.
    This is the link to JLM Audio http://www.jlmaudio.com/

4. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Home Page:
    There's a Millennia Hv-3D 8 ch mic preamp on ebay for $3500

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3708083003&category=23790&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

5. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

Audient ASP008 is what I just bought. It was about $1200, and the ADAT option added about $450 to the price. Very nice unit, switchable impedance, 8 channels, based on the pres in Audient's console.

Dan Roth
    Otitis Media
    otitis-media.net

6. Bill Park

Bill Park Guest

I'm pretty fond of the ATI 8MX2 I bopught last year... also is an 8x2 mixer and has 8 comps built in.

Bill

7. Babyhead

Babyhead Guest

You can get an API rack with up to 11 pres and /or EQs. You can get 2 Daking 4 channel pres(!), or John Hardy...I guess it's nice having 8 pres in the same package, but both of these guys make 4 in ones in a single space. You could get one of each for the price of a Grace, which I'm not to fond of. GML also make a 4x1 that is about as fullrange as you get. 8 pres in 2 spaces...cost no object? Must be nice. Seventh Circle Audio makes 8 1272's in 2 spaces if you crave the Neve sound in 2u. Quite reasonable, and even more if you biuld it.

-BH

8. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Except for the ATI already mentioned, I can't think of another 8-ch mic pre unit that I would want to own except mabe the True Systems Precision 8 at about $2500.

9. JeffreyMajeau

JeffreyMajeau Active Member

Yeah, I forgot about the ATI, that looks like a very full featured unit that'd work in all sorts of situations. And it's the same folks that deal with API.

Dan Roth
    Otitis Media
    otitis-media.net

10. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

While it is true that ATI and API have merged, the ATI gear sounds nothing like the API gear does. If I was looking for 8-ch at one time I'd pretty much go with a Vintech 473, and either an API lunchbox/rack with four 512C's or the API 3124 with the 4x2 mixer option.

11. andre77

andre77 Guest

Thanks everybody for their opinions ! This board is really great !

Andre