1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

A/B Box

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Doublehelix, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I am looking to double track guitar/bass, so I need to split the signal coming from the instrument with one high impedience line (1 MOhm) going to a guitar amp, and one line-level going to a mic pre's line-in.

So far, I have been a bit unsuccessful in my search, until it dawned on me that an active A/B switch might do the trick...one that allows *both* A and B outs to be active at the same time.

I looked at a Whirlwind Selector, and it has two 1MOhm outputs...it would be easy to DI the second output down to line-level...

Any other suggestions here???

Thanks!

2. by

by Guest

I was recently thinking about this as well. could you use a y-cable and plug one side into the amp and the other into a DI box first then into the pre? or not use the DI at all, just plug into the pre?

3. Doublehelix

This is what I have been doing, however by doing this, you are basically cutting the impediance in half, so the guitar amp is seeing 500K Ohms rather than 1 M Ohm, this can effect the sound of the amp...

I want to make sure that the amp still sees 1 M Ohm...

4. howlindog1

howlindog1 Guest

Any other suggestions here???

I just use a Carl Martin floor pedal that has a "clean out" along with the regular out(for distortion),hit the switch to defeat the distortion, one out feeds the pre line in, thru my p/bay. The other feeds the amp, works great for bass :p

5. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

DH,

This has nothing to do with audio or DI boxes.

I was looking at my wife's popsicle stick lamp and thought of you - especially the animated logo you use elsewhere.

:D

--Ethan

6. Doublehelix

Hehe...not bad...not bad! Looks pretty close to Watson and Crick's model!!! Was it designed as a DNA model, or just an abstract design that looks like a DNA strand?

Of course as a lamp, it is just plain butt-ugly!!! :) No offense!!!! Hehe... I guess I just can't see it fitting in with the decor at our place anywhere!

7. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Active Member

D,

> Was it designed as a DNA model, or just an abstract design that looks like a DNA strand? <

I really doubt it was meant to look like DNA! Elli bought that from a vendor in Grand Central Station long before I knew her. Probably in the 1970s. Did they even know about DNA back then? :) No offense!!!! <

Heck, I don't care - it's her lamp!

--Ethan

8. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

Might cost a bit more than you want but a sansamp will do the trick (just leave the effect turned off)

9. Doublehelix

I actually have a SansAmp Bass Driver...I'll bet that would work too...

10. FloodStage

FloodStage Active Member

That's the one!
    Great little boxes I think!

11. Doublehelix

Yeah, I love the SansAmp, I use it all the time for bass! Best $200 I ever spent!

12. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

back on topic.

The solution to this setup is a Little Labs MultiZ DI. It doesn't load passive pickups and can send your signal to the amp and MicPre, ect.

13. bgavin

bgavin Guest

Link to MultiZ Box

It had better be good... $550

14. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

I've been using the Radial JD7 to do this. Its not cheap, but its really good. The unit features a "drag" control that lets you control the load on the pickups.

There's also a slightly cheaper version, the JDV .

15. Doublehelix

RM...what you propose is a great DI box, but according to the web page, the outputs are:

• <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Balanced mic / line
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">unbalanced line
    • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">buffered line driver
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
    I need at least one hi-impedence (1MOhm) output...Little Labs is a great company however! They make really cool gadgets that solve lots of studio problems!

Now this looks like exactly what I am looking for!!! The JDV fits the bill perfectly!!! Wow! Cool gadget! I need one! Thanks!

16. Doublehelix

I am having a heck of time trying to find a dealer for the Radial stuff...I have searched *everywhere*!!! Where did you get your stuff???

17. Nate Tschetter

Nate Tschetter Active Member

Howdy

If you send an email to "dealer@radialeng.com" they will direct you to the nearest dude.

I got my unit a local place called "Guitar Oasis"

18. RecorderMan

Forgive me, I mat be confused.
    But what exactly are you talking about.
    The gtr's ouput is Hi-Z. So is the parrallel out of the D.I. (or any D.I. for that matter.
    (the MultiZ alos has the standard parallel out)
    Just curious, though, ot hawking gear.
    more than one out does need the Radial box or a LittleLabs PCP (along the lines of the Radial)

19. RecorderMan

quality usually isn't cheap

20. Doublehelix

I did that already, and will hopefully hear back...

When you say "parallel out" on a DI, this is a direct out, and is not "balanced" or "line level" signal. I don't have any DI boxes that have a parallel out, they all have hi-z ins and low-z outs, that is how most DI that I am aware of operate. This way you can send a hi-z guitar signal to a PA system or mic pre for recording. A DI box usually converts the hi-z signal to low-z, that is their main function as far as I know.

I do not want only a balanced out (or line-level) signal, I need a hi-z AND a balanced line-level signal.

From the description on the Little Lab's web site, it looks like this device has only line-level outs.