1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

a designes mp2 or a sebatron unit

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by thewelfareline, May 2, 2005.

1. i know that the sebatron units are very clean sounding pre's. what i was wondering is in the sebetron the output stage is solid state i believe. is the output stage on the MP1 also solid r is it tube in tube out. i am looking for a more colored mic pre. i have a plethora of clean wire with gain pres.

2. Markd102

Markd102 Well-Known Member

no no, the Sebatron can be transparent, or is an extremely colored pre depending on how you use it. Especially when you start daisy-chaining the channels together.

3. frob

frob Well-Known Member

no i dont think that the sebs are solid state any thing.

from the manual;
    "...there are no chips in the audio path, which if nothing else means they are really hard to blow up..."

i recomend the seb it is the most veritile pre i own.

4. i don't believe "no chips" is synonomous with "all tube"
    no chips is more an all discrete thing.
    i was just wondering if sebatrons were both tube input and out put or just input.

also same question with the mp2. all tube in and out?

i have no doubts the sebatron is a great unit i am just trying to figure out what is best for me right now.

thanks

5. Markd102

From Seb's website.......

Each VMP channel consists of
    -: a transformer balanced microphone input for reliability, ease of use and sound quality
    -: individual phantom power with LED indication
    -: DI for direct instrument or line input
    -: passive switchable EQ for the extreme high and low registers - very practical when tracking
    -: a 12AT7 vacuum tube run at a proper high tension providing all of the active gain
    -: switchable PAD control which varies negative feedback around the valve, controlling colour
    -: solid state, discrete Class A output stage, powered by a high voltage rail for superior headroom and transient response
    -: switchable output phase
    -: XLR and TRS balanced outputs

6. frob

frob Well-Known Member

im just saying that a solid state output stage, would be inplace of a transformer, but thats not to say that this pre is without color, ive found it to be able to do alwost any thing i want it to, that model im refreing to is the 4000e.

dont pick a pre on specks pick it on sound.

7. elektro80

elektro80 Guest

That picture clearly shows a some transistors.

8. Markd102

Transistors yes, but no ICs.

Bottom line is.... That unit sounds AMAZING! I was tracking vocals through it last night. Makes the TLM-103 sound huge and warm.