1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

A-designs HM2 Nail vs. Slate Pro Audio Dragon

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Bennos, May 23, 2013.

1. Bennos

Bennos Active Member

Hey all,

Does anyone have experience of both of these comps? I'm looking to use it on the drum bus primarily...

Cheers!

2. sshack

sshack Active Member

I have the Nail and have used the Slate on some sessions (borrowed from my local Pro Audio store).

The Slate is a great sounding compressor with lots of tonal options/abilities, I just struggled with the price more than anything else. I think he would sell more units if he were a few hundred bucks cheaper.

The Nail, I love. Tracking, 2-bus, etc....it gets the job done on just about any source I throw at it...and quite well IMO. Overall it's pretty clean sounding, but you can push it to get some gooey mojo, but it always retains a nice vibe even when trying to screw things up!

Good luck.

3. Bennos

Bennos Active Member

Thanka for the response Sshack. One thing that confused me: in Australia at least the Nail is at least $600 more expensive than the Dragon. Are you saying that the Nail is still better value for money?

4. sshack

sshack Active Member

It is, but the Nail is 2 channel, the Dragon is 1. For me, giving up the real estate of 2RU space for a new unit I wanted 2 channels. So, perhaps better said, the Dragon was a bit expensive for my taste for just a single channel.

Great unit though.

5. Bennos

Bennos Active Member

Good call... I'm gonna cop to something really dumb... I had it in my head that the Dragon was a stereo comp with a single set of controls a la the Avalon 747SP :redface:

6. pan60

pan60 Active Member

All I have is the A-Designs NIAL ( I have many other comps but not the slate ), so all I can say is I am a big fan of the NAIL.