1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

A midi module?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by adf, Jul 3, 2003.

1. adf

adf Guest

I'm thinking of buying TERA (VirSyn) to use as a sound module. As a novice in the virtual synth market, I have a question.

Can I trigger the virtual synth in the same way I did with my external midi modules. Is this more efficient, being located inside the machine with no physical cables?

Andy

2. robbyc23

robbyc23 Guest

Hello adf,

Yep, as long as your PC/Mac has a MIDI port, you can trigger a virtual synth with an external keyboard, sequencer, etc.
    The main problem you may come across is the issue of latency. This would manifest itself as a short delay between pressing the midi keyboard and the sound coming from thr computer speakers/soundcard.
    When I first started using virtual synths, I had a crappy soundcard which gave 500ms of a delay (unplayable). Good soundcards and drivers work better. The best thing to do would be to download the demo from VirSyn and try it out...

Robby

3. adf

adf Guest

Well, I am intending to buy the Audiophile 2496 sound card. I've read great reviews about it.

I think the latency is minimal with this card. Also I am running it on a Mac Dual 867MHz with 768 MB of Memory.

It will be my first virtual synth, so I am looking forward to playing with it.

My fingers are firmly crossed!

4. robbyc23

robbyc23 Guest

Yup,

I'm using a G3 powerbook running a variety of softsynths and also Amplitube virtual guitar amp with my guitar. Using the MOTU828 as the firewire soundcard I'm getting about 7ms latency, which is more than fine for live stage use.
    Good luck to ya.

Robby

5. robbyc23

robbyc23 Guest

Yup,

I'm using a G3 powerbook running a variety of softsynths and also Amplitube virtual guitar amp with my guitar. Using the MOTU828 as the firewire soundcard I'm getting about 7ms latency, which is more than fine for live stage use.
    Good luck to ya.

Robby