1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

a noise generator keyed (with a noise gate) to the bass drum

Discussion in 'Bass' started by SeniorFedup, Sep 27, 2006.

1. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

Hello i need some advice on how i go about having the kick drum be the key for a noise generator to open the gate adding the noise generator as a layer to the kick drum,

Federico

2. natural

natural Active Member

Connect noise generator to Key input
    Connect kick to gate input.
    When gate opens, noise generator is heard.

3. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

Hmmmm: I think there's a problem with that suggestion...
    I think you want to KEY the gate with the KICK, and run the noise generator through the gate! Putting the noise generator in as the "key" will open the gate continuously! BTW, you may want to try a tone oscillator instead of the noise generator. Tune it down to around 40Hz, or wherever you feel it sounds 'right'. A simple analog or digital synth with the ability to produce a pretty straight 'sinewave' can act as the oscillator. If you want to go the route with a noise generator, I would suggest putting an equalizer in the path between the gate's input and the source. That way, you can manipulate which frequencies you are hearing. I had to do that trick with an Allison Research Gatex and a Mini-Moog so many times during the late great disco era :oops: , I could do it in my sleep. I still have nightmares about it!!!

4. JensenBohren

JensenBohren Guest

Also check the thread entitled "Bass Drop."

There's a few more details on the technique in that thread.

5. natural

natural Active Member

oooops- face red- sorry- reverse that.
    Noise gen to input
    kick to key input.
    A dyslexic moment.

BTW- Yes- A low tuned Osc for kick - Try the noise gen for snare.