1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

A question about mic pre buy...

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by luis_mendez, Jan 8, 2008.

1. luis_mendez

luis_mendez Guest

I need a pre 2 channel and I do not decide between A Designs Audio Pacifica and Vintech model 273.
    Also I have been watching Daking Mic Pre IV or spend a little more and buy the Vintech model 473 or API 3124+ or Focusrite RED1
    I need suggestions from those who have tested
    Currently, I have a with focusrite ISA 428 with digital ouput option.
  2. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Mar 8, 2004
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Well...the list you've provided is certainly quite nice. I'd imagine you could do well by purchasing any of them.

I've only had experience with the Vintech, API and Focusrite. The Focusrite wasn't my cup of tea. It was nice, but it just was nice. Nothing special. The API has character - a bit of soul. If you want something to impart a little punch or forward drive, this is it. It's not overwhelming, but it's perfect in oh so many mixes.

The Vintech is a bit juicier still.

What are your plans for this preamp? Vox, drums, guitar, choir, etc???

I would urge you to consider the Langevins as well. These are serious pres that are often overlooked and because of that, very well priced.
  3. luis_mendez

luis_mendez Guest

Well I have the ISA 428 and a Digi003, mainly would use the new pre for Drums but I would like to be versatile.
  4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2001
    for drums I'd lean to the API3124
    it's a cool, familiar rock /pop drum sound and you get 4 of 'em
    now you're gonna tell me you record jazz
    mmmmmm but that's ok
    cos they still sound cool
  5. luis_mendez

luis_mendez Guest

Currently Record Christian music (pop / rock) in Spanish
    This is one of my first jobs as a producer

Battery record with the preamplifiers of an m-audio projectmix and I was not very well