1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

a tracker with sheet music-ike interface?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by johnhpus, Jan 30, 2005.

1. johnhpus

johnhpus Guest

First off, I don't know anything. I'm totally new to playing with this stuff.

I've looked at several "trackers" . Modplug, Fast Tracker, Acid Pro ... and each of them seems to use a grid style interface for composing music. Are there any programs or plugins that allow you to write music in a sheet music style?

Thanks
    John

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Cakewalk Sonar has a nice, basic, usable sheet music interface. I'm not sure what you're using for sounds. The term 'tracker' as I know it refers to an old dos based grid or text based sequencer. In these programs, you had to specify your samples and it would act like a sampler and provide you with a meand of playing back your samples. Then you mentioned Acid Pro which is a modern loop sequencer. It would be very combersome to stick little audio files o the screen for each note you wanted to play, so I wonder if you have a software sampler already. If you do, you can use it in Sonar. I haven't checked in a while, but Sonar may come bundled with a basic software sampler.

Did that help at all?

3. johnhpus

johnhpus Guest

Yeah, thanks. I wasn't really clear on the difference between using a program based on loops and one that uses midi instruments. I used the term "tracker" because of Fast Tracker 2, a program I used years and years ago.

Thanks for the help.

4. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Yeah, I did some playing around with Fast Tracker and Impulse Tracker about 10 years ago. Seeing the word 'tracker' really took me back. Thanks for that!

Welcome to RO, by the way! :)