1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

A very wierd post!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording' started by therecordingart, Mar 3, 2005.

1. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

I was contacted by someone to ask if I'm familiar with EVP (Electronic Voice Phenomena). In a nutshell, this person wants me to record silence in their house and see if I would record spirits talking. I'm somewhat familiar with the techniques that the paranormal scientists use to do this, but I wanted to first find out from you guys if you think it is bogus. This lady is willing to pay me handsomely, but I'm a little wishy-washy about doing it.

If any of you have done it with success....how did you do it? :?

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Just record yourself saying, "give Arthur all your money", vocode with noise, and mix it into the silence real low.

3. therecordingart

Haha....that was considered. Part of me wants to think that this is bogus, but I've read a lot about it because my family is really into the supernatural stuff. It makes sense that it is possible.

I want to take this lady seriously, but I don't even know if I can make this work!

4. drumist69

drumist69 Active Member

from what I've seen...

Never seen this first-hand, mind you, but everything I've seen about this usually involves a plain old tape recorder...so if someone's willing to pay you nicely to bring in high-end gear to record what may be nothing, why the hell not!!! I'd say, if she's paying you, make the most of it! Bring your best gear, try recording with a variety of mics, etc...have fun with it!

5. J-3

J-3 Active Member

Damn........that is weird.

6. jdsdj98

jdsdj98 Active Member

I propose that this thread be moved to the "Home Recording" section. :wink:

Best of luck. That is a strange one.

7. David French

buh-dump-CHING!

8. freaky

freaky Guest

Is it me or did this EVP stuff just start happening within the last 10 years? I bought bigfoot, but I'm not falling for this!

9. bluesman714

bluesman714 Guest

30 years or so ago it used to called "Angel Voices".

10. Costy

Costy Guest

Hey, Therecordingart,

I'm very curious - what is that recording technique which the
    paranormal scientists use to record EVPs ?

Costy.

11. superesonator

superesonator Member

Just make sure you use Phantom Power. :D

12. David French

Buh-DUMP!

13. Reggie

Reggie Well-Known Member

"Home Recording" That's funny. :lol:

I think recording this stuff works better with previously used tape, on a recorder that is not grounded. This way you can possibly pick up some sound (maybe even backwards ooOOoo) from the tape that didn't get fully erased, and perhaps a little RF interference for added effect. Boost up the volume afterwards so your client can hear "the voices" well, and let them make their own interpretations. Works like a charm :cool:

14. moonbaby

moonbaby Mmmmmm Well-Known Member

I have recorded a few EVP sessions in the last 3 years. Make a point of keeping the mics away from windows and mirrors...I tell the client that spirits avoid these...I use an Otari MX5050 analog reel-to-reel. That monster looks very imposing, with the big 10" reels rolling at 15ips and lit-up meters. If you run the mic pre/mixer through a DSP effects processor set to "stepped-flange" type of program, it will yield a more ethereal "voice" to whatever the mics pick up.

15. acousticman

acousticman Guest

Arthur.. I would take this lady seriously. Don't do anything that would alter the recording. Do a professional job as you would do recording a band. If nothing comes out , nothing comes out. On the outside chance "something" does get recorded she will most likely have you back. More money. A word of caution. They do say that people who seek such things opens themselves up to what ever they might find :twisted: No, I'm am not joking. If it was me I would pass :shock:

16. imloggedin

imloggedin Guest

Leviticus 19:31 “‘Do not turn yourselves to the spirit mediums, and do not consult professional foretellers of events, so as to become unclean by them. I am Jehovah YOUR God."

I think the bible makes pretty clear what not to do. I would stay away from it, you could be getting into something youll regret.

17. therecordingart

Yeah....I think I'm going to stay away from this. I attempted some white noise recordings and plain cassette recordings. Just using noise filters and amplification I was able to find voice patterns in both wave forms, but was unable to make them clear. Keep in mind I was the only person in my house at the time and all of our televisions/radios were off.

That was enough to scare the hell out of me because I did this is my own house.

18. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

freaky....

19. took-the-red-pill

took-the-red-pill Active Member

Phantom power. Now THAT'S funny

I tried to record the voices in my head once, but all that came out sounded just like me.

This reminds me. Go listen to Bill Cosby, "The Chicken Heart" Just make sure you're close to the bathroom.

Actually I have always...hey...did you hear that? No not that. That's just the furnace kicking in. I meant the other thing. It sounded like a big huge hairy AAAAUUUUGGGGHHH!!!!............

20. Costy

Costy Guest

So, what do we learn from this post ? No recording, no spirits and no dinero ?