1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Absoulute Newbie Questions......PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Recording' started by trevstaples, Jan 12, 2006.

1. trevstaples

trevstaples Guest

Well, I am a gigging musician that am now considering setting up a DAW, I have a room that will suffice for now however, do not know anything about getting started,

Ill tell you what I do have,

Casio Privia Digital Piano
    Tascam Basic 2 Track Recording Station
    Microphones
    A HP Media Center PC, which has every kind of input imaginable it seems
    Both Electric and Acustic Guitars

This is what I want (for now)
    - To be able to use guitars, vocals and piano in my DIGITAL recordings.

This is what im clueless about:
    - Recording Digitally
    - Midi Interfaces
    - Basic Neccecities

Any websites, advice or anything will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

[/b]

2. Boltino

Boltino Guest

Welcome to RO! This website has a great search function (top of the page). The first thing I'd suggest you do is use this function to read previous posts. This will give you a good base in the overall principles you are looking for. Good Luck!

Wes

3. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Figure out your budget. It will allow you to discard discussions about things you cannot afford when you search for:

Monitors

Mixing

A/D - D/A interface

Pre amps

Microphones

Soundproofing

Plug-ins

Getting started is a huge topic and, as nice as the folks are here at RO, we hate repeating ourselves every other week.

Also, from now on, be very specific, even when describing your gear; what kind of mic do you have? How much RAM do you have on your PC? How many MIDI devices will you be using? How many tracks do you anticipate recording simultaneously?

Good luck and have fun.