1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Accessories for Home Recording

Discussion in 'Recording' started by giladbr, Jul 24, 2006.

1. giladbr

giladbr Guest

Hello everybody!

I'm new to this forum - wish me luck...

At home, I have two sources for recording: my Roland EXR-3 Organ and a microphone for singing. The organ is connected to the computer with a midi cable, through the “gameport joystick” input of a very old sound blaster 16. The microphone is connected to my PC’s onboard mic input, through an XLR to PL adapter + PL to stereo adapter.
    I work with Cubase 1.06.

Now, the midi works just fine. I echo the midi back to the organ for playback, and it works great. It appears that my organ has a fairly good built-in sound moudle for midi rendering.
    However, the problem starts with the microphone: first of all, I'm experiencing a very long latency. Secondly, due to the existance of so many adapters, my frail mic input barely holds the damn thing... Think about it: XLR output > XLR to PL Adapter > PL to stereo adapter > poor mic input. It causes the adapters to bend and I had to bind it with a strap to prevent disturbances (and I still have to play with the plugs before recording so there won't be a static noise).

From this I concluded that I need to buy a decent sound card for recording. The question is: how far should I go? If the midi works fine, what do I care leaving it as it is - connected to my gameport joystick? I’ve surveyed the market and it seems that entry-level sound cards, that contain both midi and sound inputs (by companies like M-Audio or Audiophile, for instance) are pretty expensive. Do I really need such a thing? Or would it be best to buy a sound card solely for the XLR input? As for now I don’t think I’d like to add more midi instruments; maybe maybe in the future I’d like another sound instrument (let’s say – a guitar mic). But since I’m already buying, I want something good that will answer my demands now and in the not-too-far future.

I’d appreciate if you folks can direct me a bit…Besides, I’m having trouble with all the technical terms related to those new sound cards: 24 bit? 96khz? So shedding some light about these issues would be also very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

2. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    What is "pretty expensive" - I don't know?

Here's a suggestion.

Look over the Lynx line of audio cards, starting with the LynxOne. Even if the Lynx stuff IS too pricey, if you read over what they offer, you'll have a better idea of what you'd REALLY like to have, soundcard-wise. Sort've like looking over the Porsches, then going out and buying the closest possible Ford....?

That said, the LynxOne DOES have a nice two port MIDI capability and a wonderful analog section(Stereo or two mono) only - the L-22 is "newer" and has more capability, but NO MIDI. You WOULD need things like a mic preamp and maybe other stuff, which would add cost, for this kind of card.

Another thought would be an "all-in-one" USB device which plugs into your computers USB port - done! They come in a variety of configs(Most include recording software) with MIDI/mic preamps/line inputs/speaker outputs/headphone amp,, etc., so you just plug-in your mic(Organ), speakers, headphones and go. Even the cheaper ones would probably do you a "nice" job, as well as being a learning experience to help you determine where you might want to improve in the future.

Lexicon, would be a brand to search and there are MANY others.

The "Sweetwater" on-line catalog is a great, nicely organized, place to "look around" at what's available......

3. have you tried looking at any usb interfaces. lexicon makes one for $130 that looks pretty nice. line 6 also has its toneport ux1 for the same price. or the ux2 which is just $70 more and has 2 xlr inputs and 2 1/4 inputs, where the ux1 only has the 1 of each