1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Acid, schmacid

Discussion in 'Recording' started by patrick_like_static, Nov 10, 2004.

1. One of my big dilemnas in computer-based recording is this: I love Acid (the, uh, program). It seems like I'm always recording/editing/affecting tracks in Cubase SX 2.0 (out of necessity), and then SAVING these tracks and moving them into Acid Pro 4.0 for mixing and post.

Is there a standalone program which resembles Acid, but has better features for non-looped music (more than solely DX support for plug-ins, ability to aptly handle recorded tracks, etc.)? I've never tried out Vegas nor Cool Edit, so if anyone recommends these...I simply can't get comfortable in front of Cubase of Samplitude. Thanks in advance.

2. David French

David French Well-Known Member

I love Cubase SX 2.0 personally. I find it to be very user friendly. Oh well, to each his own. You might want to check out Vegas. It has a similar feel to Acid because it's made by the same company. You might like Sonar. It's most likely more powerful than Vegas.

3. Thanks, David. Yeah, I should probably clarify before the warfare ensues: I'm 100% with everyone SX is a great, rad program, and it's due to my malfunctioning that I can get used to it.

Does Sony make a version of Vegas that's strictly for audio?

4. David French

They used to have Vegas and Vegas Video back when the company was still Sonic Foundry, but now I think the app has switched focus to become an audio/video suite. If that annoys you, you should look at Sonar, or stick it out with Cubase ;)

5. It doesn't so much "annoy" me, I guess--I was just trying to avoid learning around other features that I wouldn't be using.

I forgot to mention that I'm using a PC, so does this rule out Sonar?

6. David French

Sonar is a PC app.

7. ...I also forgot to mention that I'm fairly ignorant regarding said application.

Thanks, David. I'll read some literature on Sonar as per your suggestion.

8. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

It's pretty expensive, but WaveLab 5 sounds like it's right up your alley. I use it to master orchestral works on my Cubase Station and it's audio only. No video crap to muck up the works. It even allows you to mix/master in surround sound and export your projects directly to CD Architect (worth the price of admission on it's own right)

Just some thoughts,
    J...

9. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

I use Vegas for tracking and some editing. I prefer Audition for mixing/mastering. The Video features do not get in the way. It looks pretty much like an audio app until you add a video track to the project. Some of the settings/options dialogs have video tabs - just ignore them.