1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Acoustic bass guitars- General characteristics in recording

Discussion in 'Bass' started by jm2, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jm2

jm2 Active Member

It seems that acoustic/electric bass guitars are becoming more common, as most music stores stock a few. How well do these perform in recording, and how do they differ in recording from their solid body counterparts (major advantages/disadvantages)?

2. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

I think you'll find they sound more like an acoustic up right bass. Or at least that's my perception having recorded a few. A direct input & a microphone on the Cabinet makes for a lovely sound and I am generally not one of those people to put microphones on the base cabinet. Quite a nice sound.

Acoustic electric bass, for those too lazy to schlep the real deal.
    Ms. Remy Ann David

3. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

I have recorded a Few. Like ACU GTR some have more low engery then others. We used ACU bass on a techno song to try and give the tune a bit more reality. I liked the sound we got. A lot of string sound but still a punch around 150hz. IT was mic'd with a Rode NT2 on the 12th fret and a AKG C3000 behind the bridge.

4. rockstardave

rockstardave Active Member

not to distract too much, but sometime i'd love to see and hear a fretless acoustic bass. i bet it sounds sexy!

5. jbass

jbass Guest

You can't beat the nice "growl" of a straight-up acoustic bass. A sound unto itself. The hardest part I've run across in recording them?? That's easy - finding a bass player that can actually play it - and play it well....
    JB

6. jm2

jm2 Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I have my eye on a Hofner, not the Beatle style, but rather a true acoustic body with built in pick up. I wondered what kind of sounds I might expect.

7. Greener

Greener Guest

Bass.

8. jm2

jm2 Active Member

Hmmm... That was one of my main concerns. I had images of midrange or maybe even treble emanating from it rather than bass.