1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

acoustic guitar mic - SDC selection

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by alesis, Mar 21, 2006.

1. alesis

alesis Guest

Folks,

Please can you someone suggest me a good small diaphragm condenser mic.

Recently I bought a AT4040 which I use on my Taylor acoustic guitar. I want to stereo mic. I ended using the AT4040 with my SM57. The recording is not up to the mark. Maybe if I experiment a lot more with the mic placements it might help. But folks at this forum say that for acoustic guitars the SDC mics are the best.

I am a budget musician and want to buy a SDC in the 150 - 200 price range. I zeroed down on the Audio technical AT3031 or AT3032. I intend to use one of these along with my AT404 LDC.

What are you suggestions / comments.

thanks

2. therecordingart

therecordingart Well-Known Member

The AT4040 should be ok. Here is the "chain" of recording an acoustic.

Good guitarist > good instrument > good sounding room > good mic > good preamp

Off the bat I know that your mic and your guitar are good. How are the other things listed in comparison?

As far as a pair of SDC's go....in your budget....Oktava. They are pretty damn good for a low price. You may have to sit down with a bunch of em and match them yourself though.

I sold mine for some Rode NT5's and I'm sorry that I did. Next up...Josephson C42's!!!!

3. kelly644

kelly644 Guest

If you can find an AKG C451E, that might be the ticket.

4. jahtao

jahtao Guest

you dont need a different mic, 4040'll do it if you put it in the right place, right room etc. plafcement palacement placeamanent

5. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

jahtao and TRA are right that just the 4040 should be ok. Record the guitar mono, double track it (record the part again) and pan L/R to get an amazing image.

But if you really want to record in pairs and want an SDC to match up with your 4040 for under $200 take a serious look at an Oktava MK-012 with the cardioid or omni capsule from The Sound Room. Their Oktava's are hand picked and worth every penny and are under $200. Oktava capsules from the sound room are really sweet as are the preamp bodies. An AKG C1000 is a nice choice, the R0de NT5 is nice, the AT's you chose will surely get the job done too. Also IMHO, if you're "rebel" enough, there's not a better SDC on the market for $200 than Scott Helmke's "Alice" mic (http://www.scotthelmke.com/alice-mic.html).

Then again, you can always opt for another LDC and get yerself an AT3035 which is a very, very sweet LDC for AC guitars and would complement your 4040 nicely for under $200.

You've got a lot of choices and that makes it fun.[/list]

6. eldona

eldona Guest

I've got 2 AT 3528, they work very well. Sure SDC works ok, more than Big Daddies for guitars. (Spanish or steel ones). The 4040should b ok., CLOSE to the 12th freet. And build an artificial stereo.

7. StevenColbert

StevenColbert Member

I just won a KEL HM-4 on ebay for $99. I haven't used it on acoustic guitar, yet. But I don't own an acoustic guitar either. I did buy this mic with the hopes of using it as a guitar type mic. Just another suggestion

8. alesis

alesis Guest

Cardiod or omni SDC condenser

folks,

thanks for all your input. I will look into using just the AT4040 for starters. after getting more experience on the micing techniques, will try out others.