Acoustic Guitar Mics & Techniques?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by MMazurek, Oct 27, 2000.

1. MMazurek

MMazurek Member

Hey, thanks for all the info. I still check this thread all the time.

Funny you mention the distance and position as I've been experimenting with it a lot.

As for the sound I'm after, I'm looking for that earthy/natural/woody/whatever Martin type sound to be mixed with a vocal only (or very little else).

Lately I'm digin the Lawson as stated above about 2ft away angled down a little toward the sound hole. Then I've been movin about and changin the pattern to 'eq'. (not bad with an ol SM81 either)

Was using Amek 9098 pre/eq into a Distressor, but favor the Manley pre then Distressor.

Patchin in a Summit pultec eq after is fun too, but goin in I leave it off. I would probably record with it if trackin someone else (listening back in the control rm).

Thx.

2. shermock

shermock Guest

Have you, or anyone, used the "over the shoulder" mic placement? I found my acoustic to sound great by getting more of the sound I was hearing in the actual playing position, rather than the out-in-front listening position. I just need to keep the mic far enough away from my head! ::bonk!::

Just a thought, :D

3. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

I did the over-the-shoulder thing recently... sort of. The player kept turning his body and angling the guitar up so the sound hole was more or less directly in front of the mic. Pretty much ended up where it would have been if I just plunked the mic down in front of the hole to begin with. Nevertheless, it sounded fine. And it was hilarious watching the guy contort himself into this position while still playing his part! :)